Friday, September 30, 2016

WAVERLY MISSOURI

In all of my excitement to head north into Iowa, I forgot my little tidbit on Waverly, MO.  A pretty litle town on the Missouri that does not need to be neglected.

After some time at Lexington, I headed back to Waverly to see a couple of sites and then pick up Hwy 65 to take me north to Iowa. After my stops at Marshall and Lexington, my get-up-and-go got-up-and-went!  And I still planned on the murals at Chillicothe.  I guess I put the cart before the horse since I previously posted about Chillicothe, The Home of Sliced Bread, and the murals. 

Waverly is the home of Confederate General Joseph Orville "JO" Shelby.  It was founded in the 1840s and was part of the "Little Dixie" area that was populated with folks moving up from Tennessee, Kentucky and Virginia.  They were strongly pro-secessionist and pro-confederacy.

Waverly did not see any battles or major skirmishes during the Civil War, however, May 25-28, 1862 saw operations in Waverly involving Missouri’s 7th Cavalry.  Waverly seemed to be more of a "staging" area than an actual battle site.

The City of Waverly is located in Lafayette County, overlooks the Missouri River and is surrounded by fruit orchards and vineyards. Waverly is proud to be known as "The Apple Capital of Missouri". 

A tornado killed one and did considerable damage to the city in 2006, and again, in May of 2011, a tornado touched down doing minimal damage to the town but damaged some of the area orchards and vineyards. 


No comments: