Friday, August 31, 2012

AUGUST COMES TO AN END, AUG 24-31

The cooler air was really nice – but weatherman said the 90 degree days are on their way back!  By the end of August, the afternoon temps were pushing close to 100 degrees. Sunday was BBQ pork sandwiches at my sister’s.

Had a day-trip planned for Monday but when Li’lBit and I rolled out of bed, the fog was so thick, I couldn’t see the house across the drive! Li’lBit had another seizure about 5AM. I usually know when one is coming 'cuz she tries with all of her might to crawl UNDER my skin!  She just lays in bed and trembles. I wish I know what triggered them. I used to think it was a change in the air pressure when a storm was coming in, but now it just ‘happens!” When it’s over, she just sets and stares at things like she doesn't know where she is. After she sleeps it off, she’s OK again until the next one. Definitely a trip to Dr Clay when we get back to Gatesville -- she's had too many this summer.

Finally the fog started lifting about 10 AM so I headed out to the blacksmith shop at Haverhill. The blacksmith shop wasn't open, but got some pics from outside. Sign said they open from noon -4PM daily during the summer so planned on heading back later.

Off to Melbourne for the mousehole.
Couldn't find it - how can I get lost in Melbourne, population 800! Stopped in at the post office -- always get good directions at the post office.

In the late 1800s, 8 local passenger trains, 4 local freights and several through-passenger trains that went through Melbourne. The underpass was constructed in 1906 after the farmers and people in the town joined together to fill the open trestle with earth.




Drove thru the mousehole, then off the Niland corners – took some more pics, then came back on the Lincoln highway. State Center has a neat little Main Street.




A town defined by it's relationship to the Lincoln Highway
 and the rail road.


State Center IA












Headed back into Marshalltown and stopped by the graves of the three little Burmese kids that drown in the Iowa River July 4th.. Took some flowers, snack crackers and a bottle of Sprite. Meant to do that the first week of school but forgot. From the wrappers and bottles at the gravesite, it seems there have been lots of visitors. Someone even left some school supplies and a little truck.

Tuesday evening it was Calvin Rockett's restaurant with Jim and Kathy. Special was clam chowder – so that was it – clam chowder, house salad and a small order of clam strips. I think I’m homesick for Rockport seafood!!!

Wednesday I headed out about 9:30. Off to Albion to find the old cabin. Stopped in the convenient store for directions, but when the guy said, “Well, go down to my place and take the gravel road to the left,…” I knew I was already lost! I think I traveled every county and gravel road between Albion, Lipscomb and Bangor -- but I found the cabin -- and it was really easy to get to once I stopped following everyone’s instructions and followed my map! South out of Bangor, there it was, Morman Ridge Road – dusty gravel. It wasn’t too far down the gravel (and a couple puffs on the inhaler!) until the cabin came in sight. I’m always so damn proud when I find some off-the-beaten-path site!

Heading east toward Gladbrook, I planned on going down to the Green Mountain Train Wreck site and leave flowers for Sandy’s husband’s family members that were lost there, but road construction halted that side-trip. So I handed the highway worker the small bunch of daisies and told him to have a good day!

On to Gladbrook and a stop at the Veterans Memorial Park.








Next stop Toledo to look for the “butter cow” lady's cow and calf statue -- this one is of bronze, not butter!
Don't even bother to ask where the statue is -- no one seems to know. I knew it was at the intersection of Highways 30 and 63 – well, so is a lot of other stuff. I stopped in two convenient stores. No luck. Pulled into a vegetable stand at the intersection and asked the guy if he knew; he pointed to the hill behind him! There it was! So, guess who had to climb the hill!

Then down to LeGrand to look for the old Lincoln Highway marker on the Marshall/Tama county line.


Inscription:
Marshall County Paving built by Anderson & Empie 1925

Lists the 1924-25 Supervisors and Engineers
Marshalltown 11.6 miles

The paving and the upkeep of the Lincoln Highway was done by the states, counties and the towns along the route.


And off to the blacksmith shop. Almost sorry I went back to the blacksmith shop -- don't think it has been cleaned or dusted since they closed it up years ago -- and with the doors open the dirt floors were just blowing all over the place. Didn't stay long. Left with inhaler in hand!

Stopped for a late lunch at Taylor’s Maid-Rite of one of Iowa’s famous loose meat sandwiches and a chocolate malt that is served in the metal mixing container. Came home and did another breathing treatment after so many miles of dusty roads and the dirt floor at the shop.

Thursday was laundry and ‘rest day,’ – give the ol’ knees a break after so many hills and steps! Bea and I met Marilyn at Pizza Ranch for their chicken and pizza buffet and that was just about all the walking I wanted to do!








No comments: