Sunday, July 14, 2013

On The Road Again - Headed Norrth


June 10th I hit the road for Iowa.  Reservations made in Guthrie OK for the first nite and Homewood KS for the second….to arrive at Shady Oaks Campground, Marshalltown, IA on June 12th.   Fred was Johnny on the Spot again to make sure I was hitched up, unplugged from the utilities and ready to go!
As usual, on my way out of Gatesville, I stopped at the tire shop and they checked and aired up my trailer tires.  I wish I could say the trip north was uneventful!

Just north of Paul’s Valley – just south of OK City, I heard a ‘pop” – I had just stopped for fuel and done my usual “walk around’ to make sure everything was till lookin’ good.   Ever since I blew that wheel/wheel bearings, I am really funny about checking wheels and tires.

I pulled off the interstate to take a look at what that ‘pop’ may have been – sounded like something hit up under the trailer – it was one of the tires on the trailer – blown to shreds.  Good thing it is a dual axle!  I slowly limped the rest of the way up the off ramp and into a Loves Truck Stop parking lot.  Called my friendly Good Sam’s Road Service, which I pay so dearly for…..that call went out at 1:50PM – at 6:20PM someone showed up!  Was I upset – no, I was MAD – Really MAD – but didn’t want to take it out on the poor service guy!   I guess you know Good Sam got a not so polite and not so well-mannered piece of my mind! 

If it had just been me – but I had the dogs and the cat – and it was, according to the weather man “the hottest day so far this year” and I’m setting in a parking lot with no shade on blacktop!   Yes, it was a truck stop and I could go in for some A/C air, but they wouldn’t let me bring the critters in – so I sat outside with them – fortunately I had ice in my freezer so I could cool down their water – but hot is hot and there wasn’t a cool place for them.   My truck A/C still doesn’t work right when the truck is in park and idling….so no relief there.  Actually, I think we were all overcome with the heat by the time the tire was fixed and we were on our way. 

Will definitely have to have the repair place check that when I get back (along with checking the rear slide….the repair list is growing!)   When the tire blew it took out a section of the wheel well and the sub-flooring!  YIPPEE!   I’m one happy camper!

I kept calling the RV Park in Guthrie to let them know how things were going – they close their office at 8PM and there is no way to register after that.  She told me which spot I was to take and said she would leave an envelope with my name taped to the door – I could pay her in the AM.  That’s one nice thing about staying at the same place year after year!   But…..no worry – she was still open with I got there – she said she decided she’d stay open a little longer to make sure I got in!  Bless her heart!   I was never so happy to be off the road, in shade, with electric and A/C in the trailer in all my life!

Headed out the next morning for Homewood KS – my short day –  about 4 hours.   Another place I regularly stay – called them and told them I was on the way – they don’t open the office until after 3PM (small park!) so she told me, “take any spot and I’ll see you when I open the office.”   These people are spoiling me!   This is the place that gives you a bag of fresh popped pop corn when you register!  Thought that was the strangest thing the first time I stopped – then I realized, during the summer, after being on the road, setting up the trailer, hooking up the utilities – the salty popcorn and a glass of ice tea are just what the doctor ordered!

Of course each morning, in Guthrie and in Homewood, it was push, shove, lift, heft, to get that *&#* slide in!  By the time I arrived at Marshalltown on the 12th, I had bruises from inside my elbow half way down both arms!   GEEZ!

3 PM, June 12th, arrived at Shady Oaks Campground, Marshalltown IA!  Yee-Haw!  My sister pulled in right behind me – Mary and Judy (owners) came out – guess I looked a mess, Judy brought me a bottle of ice water!   Randy showed up about 4 PM to get me backed in and help set up and by supper time, I had everything hooked and running!   Home for the Summer!  Officially off the road for at least 3 months!  Life is Good!

No comments: