Thursday, September 3, 2015

The Port Of Muskogee



Once I arrived at Muskogee OK, I noticed signs related to the Port of Muskogee.  Had no idea Muskogee was a PORT.  I guess, in my ignorance, I think ports need to be near an ocean, or at least on a really large lake.  But I found out differently in Muskogee.

The Port of Muskogee (OK) is a regional port.  It is a local hub for trucks, railroad, and barges on the Arkansas River. It is one of the farthest inland, ice-free year-round, US ports that can access the Gulf of Mexico.   Strategically located near the confluence of the Arkansas, Verdigris and Grand Rivers, the McClellan-Kerr Arkansas River Navigation System, the nation’s most inland all-weather waterway, linking Oklahoma with inland ports on the Ohio, Illinois and Mississippi Rivers, and sea ports around the world, via the Gulf of Mexico.

No comments: