Sunday, August 14, 2011

August 8-14 The Weatherman Kept His Promise!

Headed into town on Monday - took my laundry just in case the laundromat wasn't full. At 8AM, I was the only one there - other than the owner and his daughter. She's a cutey, probably 7-8 years old. She was 'in charge' of wiping down the front of all of the washers and dryers and she was doing a fine job! I didn't realize just how HOT a laundromat can be when it first opens in the AM, before the A/C kicks in! WHEW! Sauna-time!

After laundry, went uptown to check on some shoes. Love the shoe store here - good ol' fashioned kind - they measure the foot, try the shoes on, bring out a zillion pair until you find the one you want - and you just set there! My kinda store! Walked out with two new pair, one pair of tennies and a nice pair of leather mules that were on the sale rack.

From there it was off to spend some more money on two pair of jeans and 2 t-shirts. Now I'm just about the spiffiest 'trailer trash' in the park!

My sister had conference or something with the school administration/staff all day. Oh, how she "loves" those "bonding' exercises! Figured she'd want to go right home and crash, but we ended up at McDonald's for a sandwich and I got to use my coupon for a free pineapple-mango smoothie - gonna have to go back for another one of those!

Mail man delivered a terrific surprise from my friend in Canada - a Canadian flag - I'll be the hit of the RV park on Canada Day next year! And some treats for Li'lBit. Bless her heart, she just lost the last of her Irish Setters, Grizz, and she thinks of my Li'lBit. A friend I've never met, just know from RVing and the bird world. Love You, Colleen! THANKS!

Tuesday was a perfect weather day! Spent most of it outside with a good book and my good dog! Put some beef ribs and a chicken breast on the grill. Have enough cooked up to last almost a week now!

Wednesday was such a delightful day, I stayed home just so I could set outside and read all day! Wish my eyes would last a little longer when it comes to reading, but doc has changed some of my meds to see how I do without them and I think the answer will be “not too good!” Sure does mess with my reading time! Of course the pollen and stuff blowing about in the air doesn't help.

Li’lBit and I had a great day enjoying 75 degree weather and next-to-nuthin’ for humidity! Bea and I had pizza for supper – I always feel so FULL after pizza! Why can’t I stop at one piece!

Thursday was another beautiful day for being outside. Went to laundry early – forgot I’ve been carrying the dog and cat blankets and rugs around in a plastic garbage bag in the truck since I left Rockport. That job completed, I ran by the store to get some very important items – cat food, dog food, kitty litter, parrot food! Then home and spent a wonderful day in the “trailerhood’ outside reading and enjoying the weather with Li’lBit.

This weather is why I come to Iowa for the summer – well, this weather and my sister! And I am definitely glad I’m not spending the summer in Texas, putting up with 40+ days over 100 degrees and next to nothing for rain. That has to be miserable.

When I came in to fix an ice tea, decided to check my email. A note from a very dear friend from an era long ago (church camp in our youth!) Sandy and her husband will be in Marshalltown later in the month. Oh, it is going to be like waiting for Christmas! I’m sooo very excited.

Friday was another great day for being outside and to top of a terrific day, my sister calls and suggests we go to the Junction and I can get a tenderloin sandwich. YIPPEE – and they have the crunchiest, greasiest homemade fries in the whole world!

Saturday I met Ingrid, her husband and a friend over at the Meskwaki Settlement for PowWow. Had a great time. Before we left we had some yummy Indian tacos. Of course, I had to get a couple fry breads to bring home with me. I have enough trouble with weight, I sure don’t need to be hanging out at the Settlement eating Fry Bread! After the previous nite’s tenderloin and fries, I’m almost afraid to even think the word cholesterol!

Sunday Brunch with Bea was at Hardee’s to try their omelet on a bun. Not bad, but can do without it! I just as soon have one of their breakfast sandwiches. Another beautiful day outside. But it didn’t last too long. Someone somewhere was burning something and it was blowing this way. Ended up inside with the oxygen chugging away. Of course, setting all day in the wind at the Pow Wow yesterday didn’t give the lungs much of a rest!

Weatherman is promised lower humidity and temps this week...and he did a good job of delivering! My time is winding down in Iowa – less than a month and I’ll be on the road again. This has been a fast summer – didn’t get here until June and will be leaving early September.

No comments: