Saturday, January 28, 2012

January 15 - 27

January 15th Made it up to 70 degrees but cloudy, humid and dreary. Didn't go to church and didn’t hoof it up the hill for ice cream. Did some odds and ends of no-exertion-needed tasks.

Monday woke to 64 degrees, sunny and no wind! Still coughing but managed to set o outside for awhile. We all think it is the allergy to the dust/gravel/sand - whatever all that stuff is blowing in the air. Had I known it was going to bother me this much, I would have hitched up the trailer and headed to central TX for a few weeks – but they have cedar pollen!

My big air cleaner died; motor finally gave up the ghost. I have had it since I was in the house so I could not complain as I loaded it up to toss in the trash. I did dig out my other (smaller) air cleaner and it is working fine; probably plenty big for the RV so I'm not in the market for another one unless I can find a oldie-but-goodie at Castaways sometime.

Actually cooked and did dishes on Monday. Found my recipe for buttermilk oven fried chicken and fixed chicken breast (with skin on it!) for supper. Sure wish I could leave my door open but I can still hear (and smell) the dump trucks and construction stuff out front.

Went to bed all excited about making it up to the coffee on Tuesday - WRONG! 68 degrees, 98% humidity! Had to run into town for ‘essentials,’ so met Donna for lunch at Hammerheads and then to the grocery. Was hoping Kathy could make it for lunch. She got down here from Iowa about a month ago and have only seen her a time or two….but she is busy making beaded bracelets for some organization and doing crafts at Happy Camper park where she stays.

Love visiting with Donna; we split a Reuben sandwich basket (comes with sweet tator fries) and each had a cup of soup. I had lobster bisque....yummy! I'm sure glad I have to escape to get into town at least once a week for 'essentials' - dog and cat food, kitty litter, eggs, bread, milk! I'm getting a good case of cabin fever and if I don't get over this crap soon, I'm going to go bloomin' MAD!!!

Tuesday afternoon the temp went to 80 humid degrees and I started sneezing - and I didn't care - I had door and windows open and the vent fan going! And I’m glad I did ‘cuz Wednesday AM it was 45 degrees with 40 mph winds blowing thru! Even the dogs didn't want to go out! Normally I like the winds coming in from the gulf, blows in all that nice salt air that I like. Now they just blow in the dust from the construction. And this too shall pass and I’ll have a nice wide road to travel.

At least I got my dishes done, some paperwork sorted out and a pot of broccoli/cauliflower/shrimp chowder made. It was just to be broccoli/shrimp chowder, but I had a bag of frozen mixed broc/caul and I wasn't about to stand around and pick out just the broccoli!

56 degree fog rolling in from the bay on Thursday. Hadn't planned on boiled shrimp for lunch but took them from the fridge and started peeling the ones I had cooked for the chowder the day before (about 1/2 pound left.) Decided to eat one while I was peeling so got some shrimp sauce out; so much for shrimp fried rice. I ate the shrimp like a shrimp cocktail! ALL OF THEM! Got to the point where I didn't have many left and decided I’d finish them for lunch!

Made it up to 78 sunny degrees. Sat outside and read for awhile - you know me and a picnic table, a book, my ice tea! That's about all I need! Guess I wouldn't be setting outside reading with my ice tea if I was still at Shady Oaks! I miss everyone from up there. Too bad their winters are so snowy and cold!

The crock pot was full of potatoes, onions, carrots, celery, parsley, and dill in some chicken broth. Guess who cleaned out the vegetable bin in the fridge? Let it cook on low all nite, then smushed it up in my fancy blender. Sure do like my $2 (or was it $3!) blender! After cooking all night, I added some sour cream and milk and had a pot of cream of everything soup! The following day I added the left over fish! Good thing I'm not cooking for a family - they would have moved out long ago the way I mix everything together!

Friday brought 68 degrees with 94% humidity and very little wind....don't think it will snow today! Off to a late start; stayed up reading for awhile and decided to sleep in. Good thing ol' Caleb has learned about Li'lBit's pee papers! She dribbles all day; he pees gallons twice a day. Good thing I remembered to put down extra papers!

Someone, at one time or another, evidentially tried to train Caleb to newspapers. He doesn’t quite understand the puppy pee pads I get for Li’lBit so I have to put a piece of newspaper on top! Now, Li’lBit doesn’t understand what has happened to “her spot!” Thanks to Carole and Ron here in the park, I’m being well supplied with daily papers.

Have on-line connection problems again with the computer. Park is filling up and the wifi gets really slow! Sometimes I can't get connected at all and my little Verizon thingy sucks down here. Wish I had my old Alltel thingy back but they don't make them anymore! Naturally, something works so let’s stop making it!

Saturday morning,7:30 AM, 69 degrees, 95% humidity, NO breeze and we have a dense fog warning! Off to a good start! At least I don't have to shovel! And I didn’t go to breakfast at the activity building! My blood sugars have been running low -- not LOW - but low for me. Guess I’m burning more energy coughing than I do walking!

Sunday I was running low on some things and made a quick trip into town. I had run out of dish soap and had dishes piling up in the sink and couldn't let them pile up any longer! Of course, it cost me nearly $40 for that dish soap ‘cuz I made the mistake of walking by the fish market! I'll be eating shrimp and salmon this week!
Monday greeted me with 61 humid foggy degrees. Ran into town to get more meds at the drug store. It’s getting quite expensive to keep breathing!

Terrific surprise: Brenda called to say that she will be bringing her daughter down for some of spring break. I’m really excited. They are going to stay in my little travel trailer and use that as their ‘home base.’ Not sure how long they will stay. They will be arriving March 13. It will be nice to have Brenda to visit with for awhile.

My neighbor ended up in the hospital, needing blood transfusions. His wife has been fighting the flu. Fortunately his son and daughter in law are also here to be with him thru this. He came home a few days later. Nice to see him out and about again.

No comments: