Saturday, August 4, 2012

Starting August with a Day Trip!

Had planned on signing up for a one day quilting class at the local college, but when I went to register, I found that I would end up spending way too much money for the supplies required -- not that they required that many supplies, but I would have to buy some tools and equipment that I already had but just didn't have with me - hadn't planned on doing any quilting! AND, then I realized it was more geared to machine quilting -- I could have adapted to hand quilting -- my poor Mother would have rolled over in her grave if she thought I was doing ANY quilting on the machine! So quilting class is out this summer. Wish they had more adult courses offered at the local college during the summer - most are fall and winter and I'm not here.

Didn’t get to Indianola to watch the balloons lift off last year, it was on my list for this year, but again the “schedule gods” weren’t aligned! So, will put it on the list for next year!

Friday the 3rd I headed out to the Highway 141 garage sale. About 100+ miles of garage sales in and around the communities along Highway 141. Was grateful to get home without accident or injury!!

Since I’m really a ‘back roads’ kinda gal (when I’m not towing a trailer!) I decided not to take the interstate over to Hwy 141. I headed west on Highway 30, south on Hwy 65 from Colo, picked up route 210 at Maxwell and headed west to Madrid, then south on route 17 to Granger.

Just after I left Madrid, something gleaming from the field to my right caught my eye. A Hindu Temple in an Iowa field? YUP! By the time I realized what it was, I had to turn around and go back – got lined up on the side of the road for a picture or two – no camera! WHAT! Me without a camera! That’s right, I couldn’t find it in my purse or on the seat. Disappointed, turn around and head to Granger. While in town I looked for somewhere to pick up a ‘use it once’ develop the film kinda camera. Ended up finding a ‘going out of business sale’ at the Pamida store. Picked up a digital camera CHEAP – obviously not a fancy one!

I had picked up Highway 141 at Granger so decided to continue west then pick up the Hindu Temple on the way home. Traveled down the road watching all of the “Sale” signs as I drove by. Vehicles parked on both sides of the highway, lines of people around the tables. Tents and awnings set up in driveways, city parks, parking lots. With Iowa’s narrow shoulders on the road, there were places that was just wide enough for one vehicle to go down the road. I’m surprised more folks aren’t rear-ended or people hit! I slowed down considerably when I realized that many people just wandered out in the middle of the road to cross to the other side. WHEW! And I have to mention the brilliant guy that pulled over, opened his door, got out and left his door wide open! Veer to the left and avoid that!

The further I went down the highway, the heavier the crowds and traffic. And then, at a small town called Jamaica, population 237, my air conditioner died! Well over 90 degrees, not a cloud in the sky, sun beating in my windows, I’m without an A/C!

Decided to pull out of the rat-race and go into Coon Rapids, called it a day on the sales. I hadn’t found a thing to eat – plenty of vendors but each one had a line to long to wait in standing in the sun! So my diet consisted of two 44 oz ice teas and a can of Pringles! Oh, and a chocolate chip cookie. And what was your Carbohydrate count on Friday?!

As I entered Coon Rapids from the south, I was greeted with the sculpture Hybrid Icons by Iowa artist David Dahlquist. The silo-like structures contain representation of corn DNA. They celebrate Coon Rapids' role in the production of hybrid seed corn as well as international relations in agriculture following the visit of Soviet Premier Nikita Khrushchev in 1959. (That grass should be  green, not brown!)
Pulled of the road in Coon Rapids to call my sister and tell her I was heading back, no A/C. As I got out of the truck, I spilled my ice tea for the second time – can you tell this was a good day!? And there it was – between the seats, my camera. Now I have two cameras but can’t find my cell phone! Had my TracFone in my purse – out of range, no service. The day was getting better. As I got back in the truck, after sweeping out the ice tea, there was my cell phone under the seat! It had evidentially fallen on the floor and when I was trying to kick my ice tea mug to the upright position, I must have kicked the phone under them seat.

Are you ready to Day-Trip with me? Now you see why my sister isn’t too excited about these trips!



Heading west on Hwy 141 a few miles to Hwy 71, take that north to Carroll. And, there it was – on Highway 141 – a barn quilt!

At Carroll, I head east on Highway 30, the old Lincoln Highway. At Grand Junction, I took Route 144 back down to Perry. I think they should rename route 144 Wind Turbine Alley!

Then headed east on Highway 141 headed back to Granger for a couple of pictures, then up to Madrid with a stop at the Des Moines River for a picture. I can’t believe the water level is so low. The riverbed is mostly grass. Just north of the river bridge was the Hindu Temple and Cultural Center. Pictures taken, I head back the way I came – to Madrid, to Maxwell, to Colo and back to Marshalltown.

Granger, the old and the new.  That little water tower just couldn't handle the job!


Des Moines River. The rock should be the bank!
 
Hindu Temple & Cultural Center











285 miles later, I had supper with my sister at El Portal for shrimp quesadilla. She had already called the auto repair place and I have an appointment for Thursday. They can’t have it any earlier – I have a lunch date with Ingrid and Sherri in Pella on Wednesday!

No comments: