Thursday, July 31, 2008

Hail, Hail, Rock 'n' Roll - Spring in Central TX

PART 1 OF 3

Hail, Hail, Rock 'n' Roll -- what more can I say about central Texas spring weather.

I mentioned my snow-day set up -- and I'm not sure the weather improved much! It went from cold and snowy to rainy and dreary. Horrible winds and blowing rain came through on March 19 and did some damage to my roof vent in the kitchen. Trying to close the vent and the rain was coming in, the little handle/crank broke off and I couldn't get the damn vent lid closed! The wind had really whipped it back and it was just not going to come down. In the process of tring to close it, I put my hand through the screen, it tore like paper - must be an original part of this '93 RV! Horrible, horrible, horrible winds and blowing rain. Rock-a-bye baby in the RV! The "cradle" was rocking and I was beginning to think the "bough" was about to break!

About March 26 we had a 'frost-free' day and the temp got into the 60s but still having 'high wind advisories.' By March 28 we were back to "chilly and rainy" and I'm soooo glad my sister sent me those hooded sweatshirts last winter when I was in Rockport.

Of course, there is a 'shiny lining' to all of this rain and wind - gives me a good opportunity to set in the RV and work on those VHS tapes to DVD. I'd like to get as many finished as I can - since I plan on dropping the VHS tapes off with Johnnie before I hit the road again. What in the world would I do without Johnnie and her family!

However, I must be more attentive to what I'm transferring and watching prior to bedtime. It was not a good choice to watch What Ever Happened to Baby Jane, Psycho and The Birds all in one evening!

Many of the inside hours were spent listening to the weather radio and dreaming -- dreaming of a trip to Montana to see Colleen -- and a trip to Fargo to see Linda -- and a trip to Pennsylvania to see Marianne. In my mind, if I can make the 3-day trip to Iowa, I can go anwhere! But long hauls in this RV are going to require further downsizing. I'm just a damn pack-rat!

No comments: