Thursday, July 31, 2008

Reflecting on Spring in Gatesville - March/April/May

PART 5 OF 6

One of my first social outings was the Temple Bird Mart agreat time to visit with 'bird friends' from all over Texas. The Temple Mart was a big part of my life twice ayear - spring and fall - for man years. But, a sign of the time, more and more of the folks I know are getting out of the bird business, or cutting back, and not doing the marts any longer.

I also had an opportunity to meet some cyber-friends, Lorraine and Sid. I have been emailing with Rain since our chatty days, years ago, at Up At Six live bird chat line. They travel from coast to coast with their RV and were on their way from holidays with the family out east, heading back to Oregon. The made Gatesville a stop. What a terrific visit but like all good visits, way toooo short. Hope our paths cross again in our travels.


It was quite a month for cyber-friends! For the longest time I had lost contact with Marianne during her move from New Jersey to Pennsylvania - and there she was in my In Box one day when I downloaded my email! What a joy! Marianne and I have been emailing and chatting since the old Up At Six days.

In April I was invited to do a presentation to the Waco Bird Club - a modification of the presntation I gave to the Corpus Christi Bird Club last winter while I was in Rockport. And, as usual, anytime I'm with bird folks, I talk about breeder's lung. It's always nice to be around bird folks - especially since some of the members of this club were members of the old "Waco Bird Club" - the first bird club I joined years ago when I started working with birds. I had a few things left from when I was selling at birdmarts so the bird club seemed like a good place to lighten my load of a few cookbooks and other bird mart supplies.

On my way back from Waco, the truck over-heated - small pin hole in the radiator hose, but gave me a good reason to get in and get the truck serviced. I do need tires on the RV and will be getting those as I leave town in May. I stopped by to see Mr Maaniga at the Gatesville Tire. He will order them and have them on hand so I can pull in on Maonday AM before I head to Iowa and be on the road in a couple of hours. Sounds like a good plan to me!

No comments: