Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Getting Ready to Move - May 7 - 14

Finishing up the last of the odds and ends of things that need to be done. I took the old Acer, never say die, laptop to the repair shop to see if it's recent 'death' was permanent or repairable. Dead Motherboard! The folks at Blazin' Technology in Gatesville are another reason to make Gatesville my spring and fall 'get it all done here' place. I have a dependable service shop in Rockport with Robert Davis and his crew, so now I should have no reason to ever be 'computerless.'

Friday May 7th I woke to a sunny 68 degrees but not enough breeze to fight the 'heavy air.' I would take a fews steps, gasp for air, take a few steps more. I was OK, but I swear, if I had stayed in Gatesville, I'd be dead by now! But I do enjoy my time here with fired and spring this will be my spring and fall home.

Sunday means lunch with Johnnie. Always eat too much. She ad BBQ sandwiches, potato salad, cole slaw, macaroni salad, etc etc etc. She always has way too much on her table and the temptation to try some of everything is overwhelming!

Cold front came through, down in the 60s and cloudy with a breeze, beats the hell out of the 90's. Gave me a little energy to start 'folding up camp.' Fortunately, I don't do a lot of unpacking when I'm here -- just a few weeks and I don't do much cooking; spend too much time munching and visiting with friends.

Monday I met Sherrell Broam at Swindalls for ice tea. She will always be Sgt Broam from my time working at the prison. Thursday I had a nice lunch with Janis Daschofsky. Janis was the director of nursing when I first started working at the prison. We went to Andy's -- it's now called The StockYards, or something -- they still have the noon buffet. They also have a senior buffet...no salad/soup bar or dessert. One meat, two vegetables, and a bread. Veggies are 'serve yourself' so I filled up on some lovely grilled and steamed veggies and baked fish. Wish more places had these smaller portions. Of course, if they don't I just get a 'doggie bag' and make two meals out of it!

Monday May 10 storms came through late and went north of us. Looks horrible in Oklahoma and Kansas...my destinations in a couple of weeks. I'm glad I wasn't driving up I-35 at that time.

May 11th is Eat What You Want Day (according to my Holiday book.) DAMN! I celebrate that everyday!

Had lunch with Mary Jane, then went to Belton to pick up some supplies. My flag holder for the RV was in. Now I just need to find the right size flags.

When I pulled back into the RV park, I noticed a lot of smoke from across the street at the swimming pool -- WHOOPS!!! City maintenance truck on fire - big flames - bang, bang, boom, boom! Lots of folks running with fire extinguishers. They got it died down before the gas tank blew or I might not be writing this! I understand they actually drove the truck away. Seems most of the fire was in the back and burned whatever they were carrying and some aerosol paint cans.

Thursday the 12th I had an early lunch with Janis...you know us ol' folks -- we go early to avoid the noon rush! Went to Ranchers. I had to have one of their homemade hamburgers on their homemade sour dough buns. YUMMY! But still no fries, no onion rings, just hamburger. Had another nice visit and told her I'd see her in the fall. Later in the week, I had another trip to Ranchers to meet Rebecca for lunch. I think this is the first lunch I've had with her without kids for a long time! What can I say -- Good Food, Good Friends!

For a copuple of days I sat and watched a pair of mockingbirds build a nest on the back of Fred's trailer and a couple of kildeer running and squeeking through the park. Fun to watch them running along the gravel drive and the mockingbirds so busy flying in and out with their nesting materials. Doesn't take much to keep me happy!

Friday the 14th was a nice, breezy, overcast 72 degrees. A good day for me to get really busy about cleaning up and closing up. AND -- I don't believe I did this, but I made some strawberry-rhubarb jelly. I had some rhubarb left in the fridge and really needed to use it up before it spoiled - so jelly it was!

No comments: