Thursday, June 10, 2010

May Comes To An End!

Thursday May 27 I woke up to my first day in Iowa for this summer. I slept like a baby! Hit the bed about 9PM, after my chilly shower and don't remember a thing until about 4AM when the train whistle blew at the crossing. I didn't realize how much I missed that until I heard it in the morning...love the sound of the train!

The nose (and lungs) need to get used to a new set of pollens. Really plugged up, but expected that -- after all, I am living in an old oak grove and it is Spring!

The closet rod held this trip. It didn't pull loose, but I forgot to tape my plastic drawers in the closet. So, the next job was to clean up the pill bottles, medicine and jewelry all over the closet floor. Immediately added "tape drawers" to my check off list. No matter how many trips I make, no matter how long the list gets, there is something new with each trip.

While at the grocery, I noticed a special on pork riblets (that's what they call the little rib ends that get trimmed off when they vacuum pack the ribs.) Guess what went into the crock pot with BBQ sauce. My sister is not a rib person, but when I emailed her and told her of my "rib find" she wanted to know "What time's supper." So, out she came with chips and my favorite spring salad from Hy-Vee.

Managed to get the sewer hooked up, hanging baskets on the hitch, cleaned up my two ratty pink geraniums, prepotted some mint, a small aloe vera, some rosemary, cleaned up my favorite shamrock plant. Have the table cloth cleaned, the smelly candle buckets out -- just moving right along -- and had 'company for supper."

Is this Heaven? No it's Iowa! And that's about the way I feel when I'm here for the summer -- until the tornadoes blow through or the flooding happens!

Speaking of Iowa Spring Weather, I have the weather radio (mandatory equipment when RVing in Iowa in the spring) all tuned in and up and running. I'm not much of a TV person, but I do like to get the local weather and some news...so I fiddled with the TV and the antenna. No cable in the park. Took me some twisting and turning on the antenna to get more than one channel. I also have an older TV that requires a converter box, so had to get that up and running. Finally, afer several attempts I can now get 4 channels: 2 Iowa Public TV; one network from Des Moines, one network from Waterloo. At least I'll have local weather an news.

Bea called on Sunday the 31st to say she was bringing steaks out in the afternoon. So, I'm trying to get stuff put away, make some tater salad and I have a cobbler in the crockpot. I think the cobbler recipe I use is in the March section of the blog -- this time I used apple pie filling and spice cake mix.

1 comment:

Roadrunner said...

I read your blog and love the crock pot receipes.