Sunday, September 4, 2011

August 15 - 31 Summer's Almost Over

Continuing to enjoy the terrific weather - cool nites for sleeping; cool mornings with hot coffee at the picnic table with Li'lBit, breezy, warm afternoons. Now for the 'not so good' part - whatever is coming in on the breeze is really messing with my sinuses and breathing! Before long I'll find out if it is possible to do too many breathing treatments!

Had planned on making a road trip on Tuesday, but a band of red and orange from the Minnesota border to the Missouri border popped up on the weather radar. Definitely not a day to hit the road so I spent another terrific afternoon with Li'lBit outside. Could have probably made the road trip since the storm kinda ‘fizzled’ before it got here. I may get through that book on Marie Antoinette yet! Thought it was going to be some kind of historical novel easy fun read, ends up closely resembling a history book with all of the ins and outs of the French Revolution making up the biggest part of the book. Not the easy read I thought, but interesting and I soaked up every word!

Another nice day Wednesday the 17th and dinner with Jim and Kathy at Montana Mikes in Newton. As the week went on, the temps and humidity kept going up! Not my favorite weather – and the pollen, the allergies – oh, heavens! I think this is why I originally left Iowa!! The golden rod, ragweed, Spanish needle are all in full bloom and blowing!

It's another beautiful day in the "trailer-hood!" Special on chicken wings at the market - guess what went on the grill. Another day of reading outside and enjoying Li'lBit!

Friday nite stock races are going full speed ahead -- a train just went down the tracks -- all music to my ears! Love those sounds. I usually plan on going to bed early on Friday nites just so I can listen to them. just listen to them!

Oh, I love the sound of a train -- maybe I traveled the rails in another life! Lots of RV parks are near tracks and most folks really don't like it -- but as long as it doesn't derail into my RV, I love the train – and then add the roar from the race track on top of that! Now that makes sleepin' good!

This retired life is a rough life! Sunday Brunch with Bea and gathering up my book, my ice tea, my dog and it's another day doing nothing outside! Don't know how much more of this I can handle! I had fresh from the field Iowa sweet corn for supper -- that's all - just 3 ears of sweet corn! By the way - I did finish the book on Marie Antoinette and now I'm involved in the Green River Murders. Can't say I'm narrowed in my reading choices!

22nd eye doc appointment. Still off my glaucoma meds! YIPPEE! Now if the allergies would just leave my eye alone! He did give me some sample drops that might help with the allergies and the dry eye. If they work, he also gave me an RX that I will be able to fill.


Tuesday: What I learned with my visit with Sandy: 3 hours is not enough time to catch up on 50 years! Facebook can be a wonderful thing – but I sometimes think I’m addicted and I don’t even play the games – but I did “run into” a friend from my church camp days many many years ago! Sandy was from Dubuque, 30+ miles up the road from where I lived in Maquoketa – we both went to church camp in Clear Lake IA and then in Indianola IA for many years. How terrific to be able to make contact with her again and have time to visit! But three hours is just not enough.

Bea and I went to Des Moines with my taste buds ready for some Hawaiian food at the Hawaiian Grill – closed on Sunday! Ended up at Okoboji Grill for rib-eye steak sandwich with sautéed mushrooms and onion rings. Oh, it’s rough being retired!
Applebee’s with Jim and Kathy on Monday and then took the tour of the reconstruction of their home. Their house was severely damaged during the storm here last month. Not only their home, but their beautiful yard. They had so many trees, you couldn’t see their house from the road. Well, you can see it now. But construction and repairs are coming along.

Headed to Maquoketa on the 30th. The planning committee for our 50th class reunion (next summer) had a dinner meeting at the country club. Although I won’t be in Iowa to help with the planning, I ‘crashed’ the dinner meeting to visit with those classmates that were there. Then stopped by Janet's for some more memory-sharing, then back to the motel. Stayed in the same motel with Sigrid, Sherri and Judi – almost like a slumber party but we go to bed much earlier now!

Judi arrived well before we had to be at dinner so we went into the Dairy Queen for a cone. It’s still the same DQ – no inside seating – just walk up to the window and order.

On the way back on the 31st, I stopped at Stringtown Grocery to stock up on my herbs, spices, baking supplies and dehydrated vegetables. Had an initial moment of panic when I saw the “road closed” sign at the intersection where I needed to turn to get to the grocery. After a few not-so-nice words and a minor “temper tantrum” I decided to head into Kalona and go to the bakery and pick up a few things – just so the side trip wouldn’t be wasted. About a mile or two from where I had planned on turning there was a detour sign, “Detour Stringtown Grocery.” Like a sign from heaven. Of course it took me over about 5 miles of good ol’ Iowa dusty gravel roads, but I made it to the grocery and picked up my supplies. Love that store! It was a great trip -- and best of all, my Li'lBit was absolutely DELIGHTED to see me!

So ends August – September is here and I’m headed south September 7th. Time to toss out the junk and pack up what’s left. Oh, I’m such a pack rat!

No comments: