Sunday, September 11, 2011

September 1 - 10 - Triple Digit Temps, Hot Dry Dusty - This Must Be Texas!

September 1st arrived and I still wasn’t really serious about packing up. Seems the summer just went by way tooo fast! I talked to Fred at the RV park in Gatesville and made my reservations for a week starting September 9. A week of drinking Johnnie's coffee, visiting friends, eating Italian, Bush’s Chicken and chowing down at Swindalls!

But I couldn’t leave Iowa without one more storm! Thought I was going to bed early on the 2nd - then the weather alarm went off -- one more nite of setting up, watching weather radar and waiting for the weather to blow me away! Poor Li'lBit gets into "panic mode" when it storms. It has to be something with the trailer – she was never this bad in the 5th wheel. About 2AM I caught her trying to claw her way out of a window. Poor little thing! Maybe it is something to do with the horrible crashing sound of the acorns pelting the roof. Even I notice it more in the trailer than I ever did in the 5th wheel. More storms the following morning - power out! This is when I REALLY appreciate being self-contained in my little trailer! Of course, if it stays out too long, I'll have to go to the truck to recharge the computer battery!

Bea came by about noon and we headed into Des Moines – power back on, skies clearing. Finally made it to the Hawaiian Grill for my ‘fix’ of Hawaiian foods. Saimin (noodle soup) and Musubi (Spam & rice wrapped in sea weed!) Bea said I’m the only person she knows that would be delighted to drive 50 miles one way for SPAM! Stopped at Hobby Lobby on the way back to Marshalltown. Bea shopped, I leaned on the cart. I should never try to move, especially shop, after I pig out on a yummy meal!

By the 4th, I was looking for my hoodie! Woke up to 54 degrees (and the next morning in the 40s!) Sure wish I could have shared this with my friends that need the cool and wet weather! Sunday Brunch with Bea was at Perkins – eggs, biscuits and gravy, ham, cheese. Just what I needed!

The weather was making it really hard for me to get any work done outside. 68 degrees and sunny --would be perfect for outside work if the winds weren't sustained at 20 mph and gusts to 40 mph! While defrosting the freezer, I took out some chops and brauts to grill so I’d have them to eat on the road – WRONG! No way was I about to take responsibility for a grill and burning charcoal in that wind! Cooked them up on the stove, packed in baggies, popped ‘em back in the freezer – will be great to ‘nuke’ and eat on the road.

Labor Day I got really serious about packing and stowing! Randy was scheduled to come on the 6th to hitch me up. I need to stop carrying so much CRAP! Took my plant hooks, bird feeders, etc. over to my sister's to store until next summer. Think I'll try to convince her to take the bird bath, too! (She did!)

Definite sign I'm moving' - the flag is down and packed. Made my reservations at Homewood KS for Wednesday nite. I'm gettin' there! By the time Randy arrived, I was back from town, cash in my pocket, tires checked and aired....ready to go. I cannot believe how much easier it is to hitch this trailer than that 5th wheel.

Wednesday AM Bea came by to help me with last minute stuff....she always ‘leads’ me out of town. I think she is afraid I’ll get lost and end up sticking around! She just wants to make sure I’m on the road headed SOUTH!

Made it to Homewood KS RV park. Lots of road construction. Why do we have interstates, then narrow them down to one lane or two way traffic? All those warning signs, all those orange cones and I didn't see one soul out there working. I guess it's 'shovel ready' but they don't have the shovels!

I had to "rough it' in Kansas (and again in Oklahoma). My water hose developed a leak (more than just a drip!) But, I've plenty of jugs and filled them up so I'm not going to suffer too much! I do have electricity!

Thursday I headed for Guthrie OK. I must be headed south -- weatherbug popped up -- it's getting warmer! Thursday was my short day - 275 miles to Guthrie OK.

Friday wasn’t so easy - 375 miles to Gatesville. Lots of semis hauling hay south -- huge bales piled high on the trucks. At one of the weigh stations I tried to count as I went by and there were 12 - probably more -- lined up to be weighed. First time I've seen trucks lined up at the cattle pens, too. 3 trucks unloading at the cattle pens in Kansas and 4 trucks in line waiting to unload.

Crossing the Red River and coming down I-35 there was a fire in Tarrant County near Mansfield. Major traffic jam with emergency vehicles and fire trucks coming from all directions. I had trouble with the dust. They aren't doing any (or much) construction in the work zones. The dirt has been graded and now in the wind it is blowing all over the place. At first I thought it was smoke - then realized it was the dust. Lots of charred areas along the interstate. Everything is brown, like the dead of winter – except for the temps pushing triple digits. Going to take some time getting used to hot, dry, dusty! My lungs and body are going to need a major adjustment! Thank Heavens for air conditioning.

On Friday, I arrived in Gatesville about 3:30 PM. Fred and I were unhitching, I looked around and there was Brenda right behind me and she helped me finish setting up! Now That's A Friend! Made it out to Johnnie’s for my coffee fix! Life is good! Total 944 miles - I'm pooped – time to relax!

Saturday I wake up and couldn’t catch a decent breath, my eyes are watering, throat scratching, coughing and sneezing...This Must Be Texas! But it sure was some good sleepin' weather! 58 degrees at wake-up! Met Brenda for brunch at the Mexican restaurant. She loaded me down with three bags of mail, magazines and junk mail! That will keep me occupied for awhile.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Always enjoy reading your blog Helen. Got your e-mail and know you're now in Rockport, TX. I can't wait to read your comments about the last 75 miles into Rockport. Sounded like 75 miles of pure Hell ... good to know you made it to your winter home.

~ Riley