Friday, September 23, 2011

An Interesting Trip: Intestinal fortitude versus lack of cerebral gray matter

Made it back to Rockport about 7PM. Had some problems just south of Victoria. It’s about 300 miles from Gatesville TX to Rockport TX and the last 65 took me about as long as the first 235!

Pulled in for fuel just south of Victoria, pleased that I was making such great time. Trucker next to me hollered that my wheel had lost all its grease. That's not all it lost, the guts of the rear wheel on the passenger side of the trailer were totally exposed! Tire was fine, that wasn't the problem!

Sat there in the truck stop parking lot for nearly 3 hours waiting for a service truck. The repair guy pulled up, got out of his truck and I wanted to give him a hug! By then too late to get any repair work done on a Friday nite in the middle of no-where TX so he took off the tire, we moved all the weight in the trailer to the front to get it on the hitch and off the rear axle. After putting the fear of God in me about making the trip, he sent me on my way. He said he wasn't happy with my decision to go on down the road, it could be done, but....!!!

My alternative was to set there probably over the weekend. Hopefully able to get someone to tow the trailer in and I could go on to a motel with the critters. I don't think so! I came in on 3 wheels (on the trailer) at about 10-20 mph, stopping every 20 miles or so to pull over and feel the lone tire on that side to make sure it didn't overheat and blow out. I seldom got up to 20 mph! I was too scared! It was a white-knuckle ride!

I was about at the half-way point when an official vehicle from the Wildlife Preserve whipped about and got in front of me, hazard lites on. I pulled in behind not know just what was happening. It was my friend, Donna. She work-camps at the preserve just north of Rockport. She saw me and wanted to make sure I was OK. Angels come in all shapes and sizes because I had plenty of them keeping that wheel up so I could get home.

65 miles from Victoria to Rockport at 10-20 mph. Made it a hellofa long day. I pulled into the first available pull-thru slot I found at the RV park. Definitely proof of angels and God taking care of fools.

I put my head on the steering wheel and burst into tears. Then had to make a quick escape to the bathroom to PUKE! Was a wonderful experience. I plugged in the electricity and called it a day. Figured I could "think about it tomorrow," made a big glass of ice tea, threw up again, cried some more and crashed!

Spent the next day fighting diarrhea! Guess that's what happens when all of a sudden the adrenalin stops! I just know that is much more than you really wanted to know about my trip from Gatesville to Rockport!

This was the first time I've ever had to use my Good Sam's RV Road Service plan. Believe me, it was nice to have it! Bless his heart - about 9 PM my phone rang - it was Mr Truck Service Guy Angel! wanting to know if I made it! And, even tho I hate being on the cell phone when I'm driving -- the Good Sam Rep called me every hour until I got in. Now THAT is SERVICE!

Since arriving at Rockport, I’ve spent most of the time sorting and moving stuff from the trailer to the 5th wheel. Contacted Action RV and they will come out and fix the wheel – now waiting for parts. Then I can take it in to them for the rest of the repair work/storm damage from Iowa’s Great Winds!

Saturday Li'lBit and Tinga and I moved back into the 5th wheel and slept in our OLD RV! Holly decided to pull one of her "you aren't gonna put me in that carrier,' tricks so she slept by herself in the trailer! Sunday morning Holly was ready to move!

It is good to be home. Li'lBit is having some problems adjusting to the steps in the 5th wheel. I sometimes think her memory is going with her eyesight. Tinga has made her first 'fly around,' and seems to have her bearings. And then there is Holly, that darn cat, nothing seems to phase Holly -- show me the food, water and kitty litter, I'll find my own place to hide and just leave me alone - love that ol' cat!

Had I not been so tired Sat AM, I could have gone to breakfast at the activity bldg, but I just didn't have the energy! I did make it to Saturday nite ice cream social at the activity building. Friendship supper next Thursday. YUP! I'm home.

Sunday morning church at the activity building, a definite necessity! I needed to send in my praise report for getting here safely! But, it's not Sunday without Brunch with Bea! I miss that!

I think it took Li'lBit until Monday to realize where she was! She kept walking into things and wouldn't come up the steps to the bedroom until I stood on the steps and pointed them out to her by tapping on them. Good thing we have those better doggy stairs. She needs those to get up on the bed. It's a lot of work and she has to struggle to jump to the bed from her little stool.

First couple of days here there was some much needed rain. And, for me, another adjustment to pollens! It's nice to be back with my 'winter family!'

1 comment:

Roadrunner said...

Glad you are home safely!