Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Nov 14 - 16 Meet the New Man in My Life -- or - Don't Tell My Sister!


Meet the New Man In My Life! Trial run....he has to get along with Li'lBit (wagging her tail and excited!), Holly (has already introduced him to her claws and hissing!) and Tinga (she hasn't said anything yet!) Little guy was found wandering out in the highway by the RV park. You can see he HAD a collar on at one time. Don't tell MY SISTER!

I'm not really a terrier person. They tend to be hyper and yippy and most aren't fond of parrots! So we will see. I'm used to my little laid-back LilBit so don't know how we will do.

The owner of the park caught me walking into church to tell me she had a dog for me....then after lunch, she is knocking on my door with "my dog!" Allison does have a persuasive way about her! And I have been selected!

He found the food and water bowl immediately and in the process he found Holly's claws and got a healthy swat, as only Holly can give! Gotta get used to the 'energy' of a Terrier and the yipping. I'm used to OLD dogs! If he survives the next few days (or maybe that should be – if I survive the next few days), I'll bring him to Gatesville and have Dr Clay take a look at him. He's still 'in tact!'

He was evidentially a man's dog. When Tony, the owner of the park, came by to see him, Caleb just went crazy and wanted to go with him. Every time he hears a man’s voice outside, he scratches at the door and whimpers and whines. Things are gonna have to change if he stays here. At least he blends into the color scheme of the RV! A Decorator Dog!

He is actually smaller than Li'lBit. Stands about the same height, but a much smaller frame.

I feel so sorry for him - he is trying (or wanting) to get somewhere - he lays by the door whining/crying. Then he will get up and scratch at the floor by the door. He hasn't been roaming free too long - he is clean. Will be interesting to see how "crowded" it gets when we move into the 23 ft trailer in Gatesville!

I watched the papers for a week for ‘missing’ ads, called the paper and the human society – even called the dog catcher to see if anyone is missing him. Guaranteed he won’t be a “HE” for much longer if he stays here! He is also a 'climber" - wants to be on your lap and then to your shoulder. This one is definitely a climber - he has been on every surface in the RV -- I've gotten to the point where I just carry a rolled up newspaper with me!

According to the local paper, this dog has been reported 'Found" several times starting Nov 5. He is either an escape artist or after awhile, whoever finds him lets him go. Shelter is full, not taking any more dogs. We went around to the local vets to see if they recognized him or if he had a microchip. No Luck. While we were out, drove around town, up and down the streets to see if he alerted to any neighborhoods. Nope! He rides well in the crate in truck. Does well in a crate in the truck. BUT…when we came back, he peed on the carpet (right after we came in from a short walk!) Right now it is a meeting of the minds - I'm not sure which "will" is stronger - HIS or MINE!

There is a 'separation anxiety' problem; he shreds papers when left alone! Not sure if it is a constant problem or just 'new home' problem. He also scratches at windows, screens and doors and tries to ‘escape’ when I leave. Crate Training in the house is definitely in order!

Named him Caleb....figured he came here on a Sunday, he needed a good Old Testament name so went on line to a list of Hebrew names and came up with Caleb (faithful -- and a little further down, 'faithful dog! Wishful thinking on my part!)

Every day I find more of his bad habits -- starting to understand why someone may have dumped him. But I have my hands full with his "problems!" I'm getting too old for this!

Monday 14th went to Pepitos with Deryl & Elke; love their veggie quesadilla!
More rigs coming in every day - taking longer and longer to get back inside when I take the dog(s) out! Just have to talk to everyone! Out of nowhere the sky got black, winds whipped around from the south and is gusting 25-30 mph! I thought I was back to spring in Iowa!

Wed was pack-it-up day. Didn’t have to take much…clothes, any food that would spoil, the critters and the laptop! I had asked Jeannie if she would water my plants so I don't have to take them.

Panic time – couldn’t find the keys to the travel trailer and I was due to ‘move out’ in less than 24 hours! Drove myself crazy looking for them....then remembered I had left them when they were repairing the RV and maybe just never picked them up.

I finally let Tinga out to free-fly, first time since Caleb moved in....he alerted immediately to her when she took off flying around. I cracked the rolled up newspaper that has become an extension of my right arm on the kitchen counter once - he went to 'his corner' under a dining chair (next to his crate) – Good Boy!

On the road in the AM!

No comments: