Friday, December 16, 2011

Thanksgiving in Gatesville; November Comes to an End

Went to bed the 16th with the temp 88 degrees - woke up on Thursday 17th to 54 degrees and WINDS. Decided to take my time with the last minute loading to see if the winds would die down some before I hit the road. Definitely needed my hoodie!

Plans were to have the trailer hitched up and on the road by noon and to be into Gatesville before dark. Deryl and Elke came by the storage place to help me hitch up and I was on the road well a head of time. Made it to Gatesville about 5PM - some problems with the same wheel. Paranoia took hold and I slowed down to about 30 mph for the last 60 miles or so. Would stop in every little town and pull over and check the wheel hub to make sure it wasn’t getting to hot. Pulled into the RV park in Gatesville with plenty of day light – Fred was right there to help me level and unhitch. Can’t believe how easy the travel trailer is compared to that 5th wheel.

Trying to get the critters settled in the trailer was a chore; Caleb did not like the trailer! Poor thing had been running free for months; then held in a kennel here in the park; then moved my my 5th wheel, now to the travel trailer - all in the matter of a couple of weeks.

I had moved Li’lBit and Holly into the trailer after we got on the road. Had left a leash on Caleb while in his crate - just to make it easier to get him out for potty stops. He traveled in his crate on the front seat really well...except he chewed his leash in half - TWICE! Little trouble maker.

Holly and Li’lBit soon re-established their trailer territories and then in came new baby brother, Caleb to upset the apple cart. We survived!

Temps were down in the 40s the nite I pulled in. Flipped on the furnace. It put out massive amount of heat and noise! With the furnace in the area where the bed is, I knew I was not going to let it run all night! There were more important things to do. Had to get out to Johnnie’s for coffee! I'm so thankful for Johnnie's coffee pot. And I'm thankful for her and her family, too! They 'adopted' a total stranger (and one from the NORTH!) and made me part of the family!

Woke up the 18th freezing my rear end off! Trip to WalMart for a small electric space heater, some sweat pants and a heavy hoodie. Now I’m ready.

Caleb went to the vet - probably 1-2 yrs old, definitely has some rat terrier or Jack Russell Terrier along with a 'healthy dose" of Chihuahua genes. Had his shots, heart worm tests, ‘well-baby' check-up and he passed!

After spending $$ on him at the vet and making an appointment to get him sliced and spliced, guess who ran off as soon as we got home! Fred, the manager here at the RV park, tossed his coat over him and brought him back! WHEW! That is one runnin' pup!

What a difference a day makes. Woke up on the 19th to 71 degrees! Sure glad I ran right out and got that space heater, my hoodie and a pair of sweat pants!

My Verizon modem (hot spot) died and if I couldn’t find a 'free wifi" I’d be without a computer (internet) until I get back to Rockport! There were several WiFi connections available in the area, but they needed a password. I finally got in on the Court House Annex. It didn’t ask for a password so I guess it was OK to use it. It was driving me crazy, dropping off every time you turned around. So, off to WalMart to pick up a Virgin Mobile Pay-as-you-go USB modem thingy. Not the speediest connection, could get pricey if I download videos, play games, etc....but for email and facebook, it will be OK until I can get my Verizon hotspot thing squared away.

Oh, and I must say, I am thankful that Bush's Chicken has tight-fitting lids on their large ice tea cups. Absolutely nothing spilled when I tipped it over on my laptop. Good lids or I’m really quick – not sure, but tragedy was averted!

Ol' Caleb is like a double-edged sword! He is just the sweetest, most affectionate dog -- and THEN....he definitely has a temper when he can’t run out the door! Whole bunch of spitting, snarling, gnashing of the teeth! And this, too, shall pass. (I hope!)

Didn’t want to leave Caleb in the trailer while I was gone visiting and coffee-drinking, the spaces are too close for his whimpering and whining! So, he went with me everywhere and lived in his crate in the truck while I was running errands and visiting. Certainly glad the weather was cooperative to carry a critter in the truck. He does well in the crate; I finally learned to take his leash off while he is in there! And, I'm very proud to announce that Tinga has learned to whine and whimper like Caleb!

Guard Cat Holly, with one eye open, controls the coming and going on Li'lBit's dog steps leading up to the bed. Caleb waits patiently for Holly to fall asleep! Crazy Critters. I think it is nice that my critters are color coordinated with the furniture in the trailer!


On November 21, I was thankful for some really nice folks in this world. Went in to have the lights checked on the truck - kept getting the 'lamp out' light. Just as they went to print up my bill, the computer went down and froze up. The service manager said, "it's only a bulb, have a nice Thanksgiving!" WOW! Then headed to the Verizon Store to pitch a fit about my WiFi I just bought last summer. No problem! After checking it, my 3G Wifi replaced with a 4G MiFi - no cost to me! Double-WOW!

The 23rd Caleb went in for his "mind altering surgery." He's had a rough day! This is the quietest I've seen him since he's been with me! But oh, is he a cry baby! Whine, Whine, Whimper, Whimper. (Not sure how much was him and how much was Tinga!)

As usual, with my stays in Gatesville, I thoroughly enjoyed lunching and visiting with everyone. There are so many folks I want to see and usually not enough time to see everyone. Brenda and I had a hard time getting together with her schedule, but we did manage! Oh, and bummer! Swindall’s is CLOSED! One of my favorite places to meet folks!

Just before Thanksgiving we got wind gusts over 30 mph. I was in my LITTTLE travel trailer - NOT my 5th wheel! Give a gal a break!

It was terrific seeing all of Johnnie’s family at Thanksgiving. She always has a houseful and way too much food! So, guess where I went for lunch the next couple of days!

Hitched up and headed back to Rockport on the 28th. Stopped by the tire place in Gatesville (I did business with them for years so I'm comfortable with their assessment!) No problem with tires or wheels – must have just been excess lubrication that I noticed on the trip up from Rockport.

I will admit, I stopped a little more frequently just to check wheels! This time I came in with all wheels intact! Makes a big difference in the trip when you can drive on all the tires! Unloaded critters, food, and the essentials and called it a day. Ron was here to help me back it into the space. I’m storing it in the back lot here at the RV park. Already miss Johnnie's coffee!

It is nice having the trailer so convenient. I can unload, load, clean, fix up, etc at my convenience! Getting back into the Rockport routine, I headed up to Ladies Coffee Tuesday AM. 55 degrees but sure felt colder. Guess that north wind doesn't help! Holly was sick so I spent time cleaning up kitty puke! She does this each time we move. Just upsets her delicate condition, I guess!

Came home from coffee so plugged up my head hurt! That's what happens when you have to scrape windows to hitch up on Monday and 1/2 way thru the day have to turn on the A/C in the truck! Or maybe it is just the feeling of finally being home.

Made a bunch of split pea/ham soup before I left to go to Gatesville and froze 1/2 of it. Guess what went into the crock pot! Made it up to 65 degrees, winds died down, sunny.

Wed 30th 57 degrees. Lucky me, with the plugged up head, the 'cold front' got stalled somewhere along the way! Met with Donna and her friend Vickie at Panjo’s for pizza. Vickie is from Oklahoma and travels alone with her dog and work-camps. Her and Donna are both out at the Wild Life Refuge north of town.

Pot luck on Thursday. Love pot lucks! Friday AM we served breakfast for the Good Samaritans, a local non-profit group that does stuff for needy here in the county. I was on the fruit bowl list and in charge of kiwi and bananas! Doesn't THAT sound exciting.

More RVs coming in. Gayle and Jeanetta were here when I got back from Gatesville, Gelene and Bob, from Ankeny, made it in and Cleo and Bonnie are here - the flock is flocking! Good seeing them.

No comments: