Saturday, July 7, 2012

Back Home for the Class Reunion

Friday the 22nd I was ready to load the truck. Had taken care of the kitty litter and emptying the sewer tank the night before. Emailed last minute instructions to my sister about taking care of the “kids.’ They were staying in the trailer and she would come by and let them out.

Made it back to Maquoketa about noon. The A/C started working again but when I got there and found I had forgotten shampoo and a hair brush, off to WalMart I went. Coming back to the motel, the A/C stopped again. Guess it only likes highway driving.

Checking in was a wonderful experience. First, their free WiFi -- ISN'T -- it may be Free but it doesn't connect to the internet – that was OK, I had my Verizon MiFi.

Before I could settle into my room, I made 3 trips to the office. (1) My card didn't work; I couldn't get in the back door by the parking lot, so back to the office I went. (2) Then I could get in the back door but not my room; back to the office I went. By now there is a pile of stuff outside the door 'cuz with each trip I’d carry something with me! Good thing there aren't a lot of folks in the halls or I may have lost something! (3) The room key AGAIN didn't work, so back to the office I went. I wasn’t real confident that I would be able to get back in if I left the building! I wonder just how many times you can reprint those key card thingies before they stop working!

Friday nite was a social get-together at the Eagles Club: cash bar, provided munchies kinda thing at 7PM so I had plenty of time to kick back and let the hassle of getting into the room wear off! A warm bath and a nap took care of that!

WHEW! Out 'till 11PM -- had to get back to the motel before I turned into a pumpkin! My jaw and cheeks ached from yakking and laughing so much. The weekend is off to a great start!

Saturday, although my motel was next door to McDonald’s, I chose to venture out and I pigged out on breakfast at FlapJacks -- a Maquoketa Institution (almost!) -- ran into some class mates -- I really did go to school with some awesome folks (kinda hard to imagine that when I look back at the way we WERE!)
Drove around town retracing the steps I made from home to school, only this time I was driving and not walking. Drove through the old neighborhood, neighborhoods of school friend, and visited the cemetery -- all of the family I have in town reside there now. Then, social hour and dinner with the class. So many to visit with - so little time!

Sunday morning I loaded the truck, checked out of the motel and headed out to the Country Club to meet the class for breakfast at their brunch buffet. Then On The Road Again! Great weekend -- but ready to get back to my Holly & Li'lBit! Amazing how much I miss them.

My head is bursting with memories and my heart aches when I think of those that are no longer with us, except in memories. It was a wonderful weekend with great people and good food....I don't think our class ever missed a meal! For the record -- I'm gonna get Ingrid -- at brunch she started singing that standard school bus pep song "Everywhere we go, People want to know, who we are, so we tell'em....." I'm sure every school sang it -- well, it got stuck in my head and it ran thru my brain the entire THREE HOURS coming back to Marshalltown! Ingrid - you are gonna pay for this, Ingrid!

My hopes and prayers went with Sherri, Carole and Marti – three from our class that are from Colorado and with the wild fires, I pray they find their homes safe and sound.

Oh, we are the Maquoketa High School Class of ’62! This was the 50 year celebration!  We are the Cardinals, the mighty, mighty Cardinals!

No comments: