Monday, July 2, 2012

Headed North

Ron came by to help me hitch up the trailer and I headed out of Rockport before noon on Wednesday May 23. Arrived in Gatesville TX just in time for supper. Fred was there to help me get ‘level’ and unhitch. It’s a great feeling to be “home.” And it didn’t take me long to get out to Johnnie’s for coffee. Oh, how I miss our chats when I’m not in Gatesville!


After a night of tossing and turning, waking up with back pain and leg cramps, I realized it might take me some time to get back into that On The Road mode! Woke up Thursday AM knowing I hadn’t gone for enough north! 76 degrees at 7 AM! Headed out to Johnnie’s to do my laundry, visit and drink coffee!

In less than 24 hours I was coughing, spitting, sputtering, nose plugged, short of breath!! Hmmmm…must be back in Gatesville!

Had the truck out to Orville’s at 7:30 Thursday AM -- Planned on it taking awhile so had my book -- but he got me in right away -- oil changed -- brakes checked and OK - tires checked and OK -- got out of there for less than $100! Dog-gone diesel oil change isn’t cheap!

More coffee with Johnnie and lunch with Brenda. Brenda brought my mail – a huge sack of junk mail and advertising. Most of my “real” mail is now coming to Rockport. Stopped at the license plate place and got the trailer tags -- then went to WalMart to see if they can put my old glasses back together -- I sat on them! They are my spare pair!

Saturday 10:30 AM Li'lBit’s appointment at the vet. Saturday at 6PM Michael fixed me deer meat stew and corn bread last – good food – good friends! Even brought a bowl home!

Met his cousin while there – she was having a yard sale on Saturday so you know where I went Saturday! And – I found an indoor grill – I have regretted selling mine at the yard sale when I was moving into the RV – but just didn’t think I’d need it in the RV. WRONG!! I now have a new one!

Sunday lunch at Johnnie's -- chicken fried steak, "Toby tators" and all the trimmings! Ate way too much – and she even had one of her ‘famous’ chocolate birthday cakes for me! A really nice surprise.

Got some rain Monday nite - At least it cooled it off a little -- all the way down to 72 degrees!

Went to vote Tuesday AM - what a disaster -- no wonder folks don't go out and vote -- no one seemed to know what was going on and it was all in one place -- the county court house! All but one of the precincts voted there and the right hand still didn’t know what the left hand was doing!

Met Mary Jane for lunch at Andy's -- had a really good salad -- made the mistake of trying to bring what I couldn't eat home -- didn't last too long in the truck while I was drinking coffee with Johnnie!

The truck went into Dodge for its well baby check up – having some A/C problems and it needed some routine checks. Then lunch with Brenda -- then coffee with Johnnie -- then back home to rest! Do you see a pattern here?

Picked up the truck -- gave 'em $600!!! But I'm up to date with all service and it shouldn't give me any trouble -- and shouldn't have much of a bill in the fall! My A/C is OK -- but there is something with the computer board and when it idles, etc etc etc -- damned if I understand it. I really can't complain -- the last couple of times I've gotten out kinda cheap -- just minor stuff -- but I'm at that mileage point where everything needs to be done and since I'm "passing thru" we do it all at once.

Major part of the storms passed us by Wednesday nite -- didn't get much rain so I had to water my plants – one of these days I’m gonna stop carting all of this greenery back and forth! At least it was down to 68 degrees and only into the 80s for a couple of days.

Met Brenda and Samantha for lunch at Ranchers - like their onion straws and hamburgers on sour dough buns. Glad I got to see Samantha, never did get the time to get “Brenda and the girls” together at Dairy Queen this trip. Then to Johnnie's for coffee and to do a load of laundry.

Ran into Laurie and Cindy (used to work with them at home health) when I was at Ranchers. Stopped by home health one day before I left town to visit for awhile.

Johnnie’s grandson, Colton, graduated June 1 – didn’t go to graduation since it was outside at the football stadium in 90+ sticky, hot, humid degrees. But I did go to his party/dinner at The Feed Mill. I can’t believe he is graduating! Seems like just yesterday…

Gotta start packing up - hit the road Monday, June 4!



No comments: