Monday, July 2, 2012

JUNE 4, 5, 6 - ON THE ROAD AGAIN!

June 4th -  headed to Iowa.  Stopped at Orville’s to have my tires on the trailer checked on my way out of town. Sad to say, he has sold the place, but was there in the AM and introduced me to the new owner. Sure hope I get the same kinda service! I’ll miss Orville.

Just south of Fort Worth, a trucker pulled up next to me and rolled down his window hollering, "check your rear.” I just knew it was another wheel problem! And then when I walked around the back and saw the slide out, I was wondering how in the world I was going to get it in -- the motor requires electricity! Stupid me! I had 12 volt with the trailer plugged into the truck. Just takes a lot longer! And you know, after that, I was stopping every hour or so and checking - but it was OK -- just must have been that stupid peanut butter jar that tipped over against the switch -- why in the world did they put that switch for the slide out in the PANTRY!

Arrived at my routine stop, Pioneer Park, Guthrie OK, by supper time. As usual, plug in the electric and the water – don’t bother to unhitch – put the slide out – call it HOME! Fell asleep before the sun went down -- still had my clothes on! Woke up at 3 AM - got out of my clothes and didn't wake up until 6AM. Guess my ol' body just gets really pooped driving!

In no hurry to pull out in the AM – don’t even fix breakfast. I'm about 1 1/2 hr from the first service center on the Kansas Turnpike with a McDonalds! There are plenty of other places along the interstate to get something but the service centers are easy in and out!

I can't get into the park in Homewood KS until 3PM and it is only about 4-5 hrs from Guthrie; I make a lot of stops along the way! I do enjoy the short driving day after the 6 hr trip to Guthrie. I have decided that 6 hrs is about my limit for driving -- those long 10-12 hr days are GONE! But it sure is nice to be able to get out of the truck and walk around the trailer, checking tires - and now rear slide! -- and not getting out of breath! What a difference that one little piece of plastic made!

When I wake up Wednesday June 6 in Homewood KS, I’m only 5 slow and easy hrs from Shady Oaks. Watched the local highway reports prior to leaving that AM and made notes of the construction areas. This has been a fairly good trip as far as construction – not a lot of detour or delay.

There it is! Welcome to Iowa – pull over at the visitor’s center in Lamoni – they serve Made-Rite sandwiches (loose meat sandwiches if you watched the Roseanne Barr show on TV) Wish I hadn’t left my camera in the truck – I ordered a strawberry malt – comes in the metal container they mix it in – that’s a LOT of malt! Is this Heaven? No, it’s Iowa!

Arrived at Shady Oaks a little after 3PM – pulled up to my spot waiting for Randy to come from work to help be back in – creamed the side of the trailer with the extension on the dumpster! OOPS! Well, I was just trying to get over! No major damage – just going to need some fiberglass mending patches!

By the time my sister showed up from work, Randy and I had just about finished setting it up. Then it was catch my breath – apply a little more deodorant and head out for something to eat with my sister! I’m Here!  Li'lBit and Holly are happy campers!



No comments: