Thursday, August 14, 2008

Iowa In June 2008, Part I

June started with a really great weekend -- considering all of the tornado warnings, hail and winds we had the prvious week. Terrific sunny, warm and breezy days. I managed to get most of my plants transplanted, hopefully I will have peppers, tomatoes and some herbs soon....and Holly will have her fresh catnip!

Been in Iowa 2 weeks and still haven't had a Taylor's Maid-Rite loose meat sandwich nor have I had a breaded pork tenderloin sandwich...what kind of Iowa girl am I?

While walking the dog on June 4th, it was damp and getting a little foggy across the field -- all of a sudden, out of the north sky, I heard the honking of a flock of geese -- headed SOUTH!!! Am I missing something here? This is JUNE -- aren't they flying south a little early?? I think there is a wild life area just south of me -- but after all of this crazy weather, seeing a large flock of geese going south did give me pause to think!

The RV is still only 1/2 unpacked. I think that is a good sign I can get rid of some more stuff! This on-again-off-again rain, wind and hail is about to drive me nuts! Raining? Hell, we are flooding! Rivers and creeks are 5 feet above flood stage. Just down the road in Ames, they had to get front end loaders out to get the people out of WalMart, the parking lot was flooding so fast they couldn't get to their cars.

When it isn't storming, the park is really pretty with all of the landscaping and the oak trees. I enjoy the shaded, grassy lots and the open quiet spaces. And it really is quiet considering the old original Highway 30 goes past the front and there is a very busy train track going past the park on the back side. But with it being in such an open area, the sound has penty of place to go so it isn't irritating. And, on Friday night, they have stock car races at the local track just down the road.

I enjoy the sound of the train going by every few hours. But I told my sister that does create a problem -- the weatherman said a tornado sounds a lot like a train - I'll never know what hit me -- the tornado or the train! Well, trains have whistles -- guess I'll listen for that! I do like it here -- just wish this weather would stop being so hazardous. The place is peaceful and I'm looking forward to the summer here.

By June 5th, the storms were back. I watched the weather radar on TV and on the computer until we lost power about midnight. Looked like most of the stuff was going around us, so I went to bed -- in my clothes! Had my phone, wallet, flashlight and keys in a bag right at the side of the bed. About 1AM or a little later, my weather radio went off announcing an identified on the ground tornado in Marshall County (that's me!) -- then I heard the guy next door start up his truck and heat out -- he hides out in town at the concrete block car wash. I'm afraid to go to town at night because the waer runs over the roads so often during the storms. He has a 4x4 truck. My dually isn't a 4x4 -- I have enough trouble seeing at night without trying to do it during a storm.

That night I had to go to the owner's house -- Judy came out knocking on my door telling me to come over -- I had just gone to bed thinking the storm was dying down -- WRONG - tornado spotted in Marshall County was 1/2mile south of us. We went through this drill two nights in a row.

About 1:30 AM I was back in he RV. Winds blew so hard they actually blew leaves up under the louvered windows in the back and I had hem closed! The winds had blown up the roof vent in the kitchen area and I had water all over the floor -- carpeting was wet under the dining table, my laptop was on the table and soaked -- fortunately it was closed and off. I'm sure that is what saved it from really going 'belly-up' on me. Took most of the day to dry out and get back on line and working.

The kitchen counter was full of standing water and the toaster was wet and 'died.' Guess I'll have to break down and get a new one. After all, that is a really expensive Dollar Store $5 toaster -- they don't get much better than that!

Major damage to the outside was avoided. There was just insult added to the 'injury' that the RV sustained in Texas.

On June 6th we lost power for a few hours. Tornado went about 9 miles south. It's really strange -- according to the storm spotters (you gotta be crazy to be driving TOWARD the sorm!) the tornado was suspended, didn't hit ground. Several semis were flipped down on the interestate.

My new nightly routine is watch weather radar, keep the TV on for alerts. Gather up cell phone, wallet, flashlight, keys and put them in a bag so I can have them all handy. Then, when it looks like most of the bad stuff is dying out or staying away, go to bed, but take the bag, the weather radio and leavemy clothes on! I make sure I have both of my power pals fully charged and them them at the side of the bed. This is Crazy!

Li'l Bit and I have leanred to nap during the day so we can stay up for the night sorms. Day sorms are easier for me -- I can see what is happening!

Weatherman was telling us we would get a nice sunny, warm, dry weekend -- well, pitch that idea out! More storms coming for the next 6-7 evenings. Sunny, warm, humid during the day -- rock 'n' roll at night. All of the rivers are way above flood level and many roads are closed. Puking cat, trembling dog, wet carpet, water-logged computer -- Are we having fun yet?

Rivers and creeks are out of heir banks. Cenral Iowa is seeing the worse flooding they have seen since the Big Flood of '93. My sister came out to pick me up so we could grab a sandwich and the water is so high along the roadway, you cannot see the fences or gates in some of the fields. The creek is out of its bank and backed up into the tent area of the RV park.

Severe weather just keeps rolling in from west Texas, coming up through Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska and slams into Iowa - then it just keeps rollilng across the state. TEXAS -- would you keep his stuff down your way for a few days so I can rest!

And they don't spreadout -- one storm right after the other, day after day.

This is the tpical "find Helen in the RV in Marshalltown" weather pattern of storms that barrel across the state

No comments: