Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Fort Smith to Rogers Arkansas

This morning I packed up the truck in Fort Smith -- heat and humidity so soon in the day!  Seems it takes me longer to unload and load with each stop.

I had several things on my list to see in Fort Smith but had to cancel my side trip into Talimena National Byway in Oklahoma and the Spiro Mounds -- just didn't have the energy. I did drive thru town to see Miss Laura's Social Club (that is now the Visitor's Center!), the Fort Smith Historic Site, the statue of Bass Reeves and the court building of Judge Parker, the hangin' judge.  A drive thru the Oak Cemetery and the National Cemetery finished my tour of the city.

Next I drove out to Fort Chaffee to see what was left of the post.  They have "memorialized" the old post barber shop where Elvis Presley got his famous hair cut when he entered the Army.  Then made a 'drive thru' at the Massard Prairie Civil War Battlefield.  I do find it somewhat depressing that I cannot get out and wander about seeing these things "up close & personal!"

Heading north out of town, I drove thru the Dripping Springs Battlefield north of Van Buren.  Van Buren has a historic downtown with 6 blocks renovated.

From Van Buren, staying on Hwy 71, I drove into Alma -- the spinach capitol of the world.  Had to stop long enough to get a picture of the statue of Popeye in a pretty little park in town called Popeye's Garden.  Then, a slight delay -- more like a 20 minute delay waiting for a train to go back and forth blocking the roadway.  Later on my travels, I drove by the Popeye Spinach factory.

Then on to the Boston Mountains "scenic" route.  Beautiful drive - the sun came out and everything just glistened.  I have never seen so many "Sharp Curves Ahead," "Steep Grade, Windy Road," signs.  Most of the time the speed limit was 25 mph or 45 mph.  That was fine with me! AND.....just as I'm cruising along at about 35 mph, I made a bend and there is a biker -- not a motor cycle kinda biker -- and real peddle the thing biker.  WOW -- I complain about not getting any 'good air' setting still -- how does this guy bike up and down those mountain sides!  God Bless Him!  And he had the energy to give me a wave as I went past him.

Driving through Mountainburg, I notice some statuary of dinosaurs, whip a U-turn and drive into the park.  Someone did some nice work on 3 dinosaurs in the city park among the swings, slides and other playground equipment.  Nice touch!



















Driving 25-45 mph, you tend to loose perspective on how much ground you cover.  All of a sudden, I drove right past Artist's Point -- one of my stops.  Nothing behind me -- nothing ahead of me -- leary of backing up on the curves and grade, so I lined my dually right up on the yellow line and backed up down the road.  Got to see the view at Artist's Point -- then back in the truck and headed north!

Swing into Winslow and get learn about the Gibson's Baskets -- a family of basketmakers for generations.  And also learned about Maud Duncan - the second woman in Arkansas to secure a registration as a pharmacist, a business woman, editore of trhe newspaper and Mayor of Winslow with an all-woman city council; the 'petticoat government' was elected for 2 terms.  It's amazing what you can find out about small town USA when you stop in at the feed store to get directions!

Coming thru the mountains, reminded me of my days at Fort Leonard Wood MO.  Down in the valleys you cannot get any phone reception, no radio reception -- no wonder the people of the area were so isolated until cable, satellite and internet came along.

Next stop -- Fayetteville.  Whoa!!  College Town!  It's not even Labor Day but the town is full of back-pack carrying youth!  Drove south of town and did the driving tour of Prairie Grove Battlefield -- a touch of Iowa here -- the 19th Iowa soldiers fought the Civil War battle at Prairie Grove.  I had picked up a bouquet of daisies so left them at the battlefield for the guys.   Then off the the National Cemetery...didn't have any daisies left. Maybe next time!

From a drive thru downtown Fayetteville, it was on north -- still on Hwy 71.  Found a motel room in Rogers, Arkansas -- have decided to spend 2 nites here since there are several things I want to see in the Springdale/Rogers/Bentonville area.

No comments: