Tuesday, November 9, 2010

October 2010 - On The Road Again!

Friday October 1 the packing and closing up business got serious! I’m trying to thin out and pack up and my sister wants to go to Kohls and Target in Des Moines. Crazy oxygen tank decided to go empty on me about ½ way thru my money-spending spree! Had a really great supper at the Okoboji Grill http://www.okobojigrill.com/

I will never know how the gas companies know when I'm going to be on the road; diesel was $2.99 That's nearly 50 cents/gal higher than a couple of weeks ago. But the truck's belly is full.

Monday, October 4, On the Road Again! Destination Homewood RV Park, Homewood KS. Arrived mid afternoon...electricity plugged in -- computer is up and running, Li'lBit watered the lawn! Arrival chores completed! Only had one 'accident' - forgot to put a jar of sweet pickles away. Jar rolled from counter to floor -- the waste basket must have stopped it from crashing to the floor! The juice escaped on the kitchen floor and into the carpet at the end of the table -- think it will probably take a good soaking of rug soap when I get to Gatesville -- not going to do anything now -- but did put down a bunch of paper towels to soak it up. Fortunately, it was a small jar -- jar didn't break -- lid just came loose -- didn't even come all the way off, but the pickle juice 'escaped'!

Tuesday I woke to 46 degrees (according to the weatherbug!) -- evidentially I didn't get far enough south! Supposed to get into the 70's in KS and OK and the 80's in TX so at least I'm heading the right direction. Li'lBit's been out to water the lawn -- critters fed; coffee made. Still smells a little like a pickle factory! But the floor in the kitchen wasn't sticky this AM so I must have gotten that part of the floor clean!

Only about 4 hrs to Guthrie.

Pioneer Park in Guthrie OK, my other regular stop. When I went to check in the lady said, "please remember to unplug the electric before you pull out." I must have had a really dumb look on my face and she told me I had pulled the electric post loose. Then I remembered, that the post was loose when I went to plug in on my stop over enroute to Iowa in the spring. I was going to go back up and tell her when the guy next to me said she knew about it and it was OK to use - he steadied the post when I plugged in -- told her that and she shook her head and said she ‘remembered them.’ I remember emailing Bea about how rowdy the crew next to me were with their booze and playing horseshoe, etc. So we talked about that for awhile, then sent me to my site with a map.

When I pulled in the hook-ups were on the 'wrong' side. I pulled into the wrong spot and barely had room to get out around a damn truck parked in front of the RV next to me. The lady from the office came to my rescue - she told me the "second" spot -- so I counted -- drive, one spot, two spots -- pulled in -- OOPS -- that wasn't a drive -- it was the first spot! She talked me thru pulling up, backing up, pulling up, straightening out etc etc etc and I made it. I'm really proud of my maneuvering and her directions -- got me out of a tight space, with a fence in front and a big dually truck parked behind, a tree on one side and a motor home on the other. Of course, when it was all over, I thought I was gonna have a heart attack! I’m sure they will be happy to see me come again! I told her next spring when I make reservations, I'll just tell her I'm her 'problem child' and she'll remember who I am!

Wanted to be on the road by 9AM on Wednesday. Woke to a little fog. It's 6 hours to Gatesville if I don't get hung up anywhere or have to make too many potty stops. Needed fuel and had planned on stopping at the Shell station just at the I-35 on ramp. Not to be…diesel pumps “out of order.” Knew I had enough fuel to make it to Paul’s Valley if I couldn’t find anything else – so On the Road Again!

Eventually found a couple more gas stations that have elevated their awnings over the fuel pumps for RVs! I like to keep a list with me of 'convenient RV friendly easy-on-easy-off' gas stations so I don't have to do a lot of turning and twisting!

However, prior to getting to Pauls Valley, I pulled off the interstate for fuel – not a good exit. Too much business, shopping center, etc. Ended up on a narrow street taking me to a ‘dead end’ parking lot that appeared to be full. Decided I could go around the Waffle house and pull back onto the highway – WRONG! Couldn’t get around the back of the Waffle House – dumpsters lined up blocking the area in the back. So, just like I knew what I was doing, with their parking lot nearly empty, I decided to pull a U-turn right there in the little side lot. About the time I was half-way thru my turn, I saw several faces peering out the front window. I continued to make my turn (thanks to the extended king-pin hitch, I can cut nearly 90 degrees). Once I realized I was going to make it, I rolled down my window, put my arm out and waved at the smiling faces….hoping all the time I wasn’t going pee my pants in the process!

Road construction sucks. Computer monitor and keyboard on the floor when I arrived in Gatesville! At least the CPU and printer were still in place! Gotta love Earthquake Putty! No damage -- everything was wrapped in blankets -- just a MESS -- one of the doors over the computer desk came open -- OOPS! lots of odds and ends to pick up. And, later, found that my trip down thru the ditch and up to the other side of the highway (road construction!!!) ‘dinged’ my sewer pipe and the line from the shower to the main line needed to be replaced. Johnnie’s son Toby came by later and tended to that! Oh, it’s so nice to have friends that can do all of this sort of thing!

I pulled in to Gatesville late afternoon so we (the guys at the park, Buzz & Fred, and the owners, Ed & Linda) decided to unhitch Thursday AM, giving me time to pick up all the mess from the cabinets and giving me time to corral Holly and get her in her carrier. If she isn’t ‘corralled’ she runs under the bed as the slides go out, then I have to ‘jailed’ in there with no way out!
Thursday AM heading to 84 degrees; my ol' body ain't used to THAT!
Ed pointed out that my 30/50 amp 'dog bone' has a 'burned' plug. Will have to watch that, fortunately, I don’t need it here.

Buzz noticed that I have some peeling on the roof -- probably from branches catching or something. Will have that checked when I get to Rockport -- don't need a leaking roof! Lee and Mary Jane stopped by and found a “ding” on the driver’s side of the RV – evidentially the ‘ding’ and the roof damage came with my fancy maneuvering around the trees in Guthrie!

Friday was a ‘do nothing’ day – a day to mess with odds and ends and catch my breath. Brenda brought my mail – that’s always a treat – she saves all of the catalogues and junk mail for when I return!

Called first thing in the AM to get a vet appointment for LI'lBit; they told me to bring her right in! How's that for service! Dr Clay took care of her -- he thinks she is doing "just fine for an old girl!" Gave her a shot and I got some antibiotic spray for where she scratches her butt.

Waco Bird Club met Saturday at Collin Street Bakery on I-35 near Waco. Nice little deli – and I do so love their apricot/pecan fruit cakes – about the only fruit cakes I like! Not cheap, but oh, soooo good! It was great seeing Don and the gang from the bird club. Get to see them and visit about twice a year. It is still a wonderful “fix” for what ails me since I don’t have all of my parrots.

Sunday lunch with Johnnie on the 10th -- frog eye salad and chicken fried steak. Brought home a doggie bag, too. Dairy Queen with Brenda and the girls Sunday afternoon. All is well with the world!

Woke to 66 degrees and humid on Monday -- 40% chance of rain but looks like we will just get the humidity and most of the rain will stay NE of us. Major plan for the day is sorting out all of the mail that Brenda brought. She brought all of the catalogs and magazines she doesn't forward so you know I have to take time to look at all of those! Had some lunch with Brenda at the Mexican restaurant.
Tuesday afternoon tea and cobbler with Sherrel Broam at Swindalls to rehash all the old TDC days! That usually lasts until we get kicked out for the supper crowd!


Wednesday was scheduled as “lunch with Cindy.” Didn’t get home until nearly supper time -- Lunch, my ass! She had planned a 'surprise welcome home' party with a bunch of officers I worked with from the prison -- we are all on Facebook together now. Carol made a really fancy pumpkin cake and her husband, Mark, was there with his camera – what a terrific photographer he is. Johnnie was there, too and she didn't say a damn thing to me -- and she knows how I hate 'surprises!!"
I didn't know I would be treated to one of Carol's fancy decorated cakes -- what a treat! And Thanks to Mark for taking so many wonderful pics of the event. Check out Mark's photography at http://countryimages.smugmug.com/


October 14th Brrrr....hoodie weather -- 47 degrees! Even Holly and Li'lBit find warmth with a friend! Awake and going at 6AM! I couldn't just lay there and smell the brisket in the crockpot cooking any longer! Had to get up and "taste test' it! YUMMY!

Lunch with Brenda and her sister Friday noon at the pasta place. I’m such a social butterfly here! Too many folks to see, too much gossip to catch up on and too many good places to eat!

1 comment:

Roadrunner said...

I enjoy reading your blog! Your trip sounds like me! Seems your post is backward? Or do I read it backward?
I am here in Whitney,TX trying to get out to go west. Theresa