Sunday, March 2, 2008

The First Day of the Rest of My Life



Day 1 – 11.29.07 Thursday
Lee and Mary Jane came by to hitch me up, haul me to get propane, in general, make sure I was ready to go – which I wasn’t when they got there. I was when they left!
Way to Go Lee & Mary Jane.
These two got me started on this “RV” thing – and once I had one, they sold theirs... wonder if they were trying to tell me something!
But, if it wasn’t for them and my dear cyber-friends, Sid & Rain,
I wouldn’t know anything about this rig.

Brenda was at the house getting the oxygen and last minute stuff gathered up….there is still so much crap in the house, it will take all three months when I’m back in Gatesville in the spring to get it sorted. Brenda and Diana are going to monitor the home front and Brent will take care of the yard and mowing while I’m off playing "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" –
well, maybe Lifestyles of the Poor and Retired!

Utilities have been taken care of, phone disconnected, mail forwarded. Thanks to Brenda for ‘renting’ me a room at her place so I will have a mailing address.
Thanks to Bobby, the little red truck was sold and I had money in the bank and some coins jingling in my pocket when I rolled out. No more of Johnnie’s coffee and visits until March!
After lunch with Lee, Mary Jane, and Brenda, I headed off to the old Ford dealership parking lot to practice backing this thing up.....again and again and again – which came in handy the following day! I’m going to miss my lunches with Brenda and the Sunday trip to Dairy Queen with Brenda and ‘the girls.” Another treat to look forward to when I get back in March.

My first night on the road was at "Wally World RV park" – the local WalMart parking lot!
Stopped into the store to see Brenda's sister and say good-bye, but she was off work. Ellen sure is a good friend and has been there, just like the rest of that terrific family. They raise good people and strong families in Purmela, ,Texas!
Spent the evening reading and re-reading emails I’ve exchanged with a cyber-friend, Rain.
Rain and her husband have been full-timing in a fifth wheel for several years. If I had a question, they had the answer. If I had a problem, they had the solution. If I had a worry, they had a shoulder to lean on and an ear to listen to my problems!!!

Didn’t get too much sleep – the brain was in high gear worried about making the trip and since I was without electric hook up, I didn’t have my CPAP, a breathing machine I need at night. But with the help of a battery operated fan, I did manage to get a few hours sleep. I will figure a way to use my CPAP when I'm without utilities!

We were all loaded, the birds, the cat, the dog and ready to head out Friday AM.
The first day of the rest of our lives!

No comments: