Saturday, March 1, 2008

In The Beginning (Part IV)

Homes have been found for all of the critters, furred and feathered, that found their way to my place and called home. It’s time to move out of the house, into the RV and see how it ‘fits.’ Christine came from Houston (Almost Angels Aviary, www.almostangelsaviary.com ) , Rob and Rebecca came from Hamilton, Debbie came…..the word got out and soon a bird was going here, a cat going there, a dog over here.
Then it got to the point where my friends walked away when they saw me coming –
they knew I was going to try to convince them to ‘take just one more!!”
And here comes Brenda again to save the day! Anything that didn’t have a home by the time I was ready to leave town went with Brenda and she continued the search for homes.

With the help of friends, we got the RV down to the service center for it’s “well-baby check-up.” The refrigerator required repair or replacement – replace it while there is still a part-time job and money coming in! When it came back, I moved it to the local RV park.
Better to make my initial mistakes as I start this life close to home and close to friends.

Three months in the RV, one major problem, the flusher needed to be replaced (well, not really, but by the time the repairman realized that wasn’t my problem, it was installed and I just had him leave it there). The problem was with the holding tank not draining properly. Once that was cleared up, everything ran like clock work.

The next three months involved trips back and forth to the house, the RV, the trash can! Miscellaneous odds and ends of things needed to be done and loose ends tied up. Rob and Rebecca came and moved and welded the scooter hitch from the Chevy to the RV.
Bobby came by and hauled my Chevy down to the used car lot
and wheeled and dealed me right into a good deal.
Bye-Bye Chevy!

I suppose I should add at this point – we have had two accidents with the Billy-Truck – first the passenger side wiped out in a parking lot – then, just days after I drive it away from the body shop, I decide to rear end another truck! OOPS!
Don’t ya know the insurance company loves me by now!

OK – here comes November and I have reservations in Rockport TX for November 30 – March 5. A trip to Rockport last Memorial Day week gave me an opportunity to check out the RV parks and make reservations. It also gave me a chance to visit with friends.
Rockport isn’t a ‘foreign’ or new community to me. For several years I drove out of central Texas to Corpus Christi to be a vendor at the Corpus Christi bird club’s spring and fall bird marts. In the process, I made some wonderful friends and I am truly excited
about spending time in Rockport and visiting with them for the winter.

I couldn’t move out any earlier. I’d been in Gatesville TX for over 20 years and there are some traditions that just have to be maintained. One was spending the holidays with Johnnie and Bobby and their family. The time spent with them was the foundation of my stability at many times in my life. Leaving them before Thanksgiving was not even a possibility!

Life is good – I’ve been Blessed with wonderful friends that, through their help,
are getting me off to a wonderful start on
The Adventures of Billy-Max: Reinventing Helen

No comments: