Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Stumbling Blocks

The more I thought about it -- getting my RV back to TX and putting it in for repair since the kitchen drain system popped a major leak -- fortunately NOT inside the RV but out the back on the ground. After talking to several RV service places, I decided to see if I just couldn't get a new (or new to me) RV while here in Iowa. I'm not getting any younger and applying for a loan on a small state retirement and social security may not have a high percentage of approval!

Monday Bea and I went over to Colo to Twin Anchors RV to look at what they had on the lot -- see what was available, what monies they wanted for what they had -- typical search for a new vehicle!

My sister told me that you usually take the first one you see or the last one -- in this case, I think it will be the first one -- have found myself comparing anything else I see to that first 2004 Heartland Big Country 5th wheel.

I need to get an Iowa Photo-ID since I have to have one to apply for a loan in Iowa! Isn't that amazing! AND the RV will have to be licensed in Iowa. So tomorrow, after I go check out the RV for the second time to see if I really do like it -- and see where everything, I'll find the place to get the photo-ID...I've read the requirements on the state website on line -- not sure if I will be expected to relinquish my Texas Driver's License -- but I'm not applying for a driver's license.

Randy, from sales came by today and looked at my RV regarding trade-in value -- didn't give me any dollar amount for mine for a trade in - has to go back and "talk to Don" -- there is always a "DON" somewhere when you are buying vehicles. He said their reference books only go back to 1997 and mine is a '94. But geez, if I can get anything out of this -- I only paid $9,000 for it nearly 4 years ago. I think that would be just fine. I'd put some from savings with it and call it a deal!

I hope he gets together with "DON" and they sharpen their pencils and get out a big eraser and give me some facts. I'm going out tomorrow to set in the one I like and check it out! We arrived late on Monday and I didn't have time to go over everthing....I was just looking to see what the had and get some cost ideas. Now I need to check out everything (and I'll take a camera!)...where are the hook ups, ease of access, stuff like that. What's hiding in closets and cupboards to take up storage space (like hot water heaters, etc) -- I have the hot water heater under my kitchen sink in this RV and it takes up a big chuck of cupboard space. Who knows - it might not look as good the second time!

Also - he said that they could bring the RV out here so I could take my time moving once I decided if I wanted it and we got together on a deal. That would be nice -- I could have Bea gather up some of her friends and their kids and come help me in the evenings. It would also give me time to get used to the new one and where stuff is. And give me a week or so to 'shake down' the RV for problems.

I've told my sister to save boxes! They get their paper supply in those nice cardboard boxes with lids -- good size for storage and moving. I'll just live out of boxes 'til I get settled.

Bea wants to go to some of the big RV places in DesMoines - you know - acres of RVs.....I'm not sure I want to buy from a big dealer like that - I think, being alone, I'll get better response from this small local dealer. And, to me, knowing that when I come up here in the spring, I can get them to service it -- and there is an RV park right there -- I just think I'd rather stay with the little local guy even if it costs me a little more. We looked at a couple new ones -- but they were considerably more than the others we saw.

I think, if I got something like this, I would give them back the sofa (they can put it in my old RV since I got rid of that one!) -- I'd move the two recliners to the sofa space and put MY recliner and the bird cage at the back window. That would give me 3 recliners and that is plenty for what little company I have. Plus I'd have the chairs at the dining table and the one at the computer desk. WHEW! A computer desk and an entertainment center! what will I do with all that space - clutter it up like I do everything else!!

Amazing how the mind wanders around all things RV when in the market for something new! - OK - I've rambled enough!!

No comments: