Monday, January 17, 2011

Gotta Love Livin'!

Monday, Jan 10th, 46 degrees and the REAL cold front moved in later in the day -- nite temps in the 30s. Some RVers are just plain NUTZ! 45 degrees, damp and windy and they haul out the deep fry cookers and the grills. You really have to be into this outdoor cooking stuff to get into it wearing a winter coat and mittens. Personally, I'm such a 'fair weather' kinda gal, I was cooking on the stove and in the oven just to heat up the RV!

Met Deryl, Robert and Diana at Los Comales (my fried avocado Mexican restaurant!) Elke comes back Wednesday so my "date nites" will be cut off!

Keith was around taking pics the day after the storm. He keeps the RV park blog up to date. http://www.rockport-rv35.blogspot.com/ There are a couple of entries with pictures regarding the storm. Still no further damage on my rig found from the hail/wind/rain.

Tuesday Brrrr..38 degrees. Only got into the mid-40s for a high -- supposed to be the same for 2-3 days – then starts warming up by the weekend – something to look forward to! Guess who ran out of propane about 3 AM! Refused to get up and go out at 3AM to switch tanks. Not totally out, just one tank went empty. I don't leave the tanks on auto-switch. I want to know when I have an empty tank. Propane guy comes into the park Tuesday and Friday.

Spent Tuesday running for lab work, then pigged out at the Chinese breakfast buffet, did some grocery shopping, stopped by the quilting store to get some iron on backing and sharper needles for the sweatshirt I'm making in crafts....don't you just love this old folks retirement RV park stuff! I'm such a little seamstress! They didn't have any floss at WallyWorld when I was there the other day. Really upsets me that WalMarts no longer has the sewing/fabric department like they did at one time. Had my hair cut and nails done. I really need to get back to Chevi for my nails. They do OK here, but don't have Chevi's 'flair!' Got a really great razor cut - love it! Put a pork roast in the crock pot before I left.

Elke got back from Germany. Glad she made it home safe and sound!

Tuesday and Wednesday nite we were to get to the freeze mark with windchills in the 20s according to the weather man – don’t think it ever got QUITE that cold.

Wednesday 34 degrees with 16 mph winds. I put on a pot of soup and stayed in for the day! By 11 AM it was all the way up to 35 degrees! Should have found something to put in the oven!

Thursday 13th, 38 degrees with a windchill of 27. Drizzle/rain showers started -- maybe some sun by the weekend! That's gettin' right nippy for down here.

Doc appt that afternoon wasn’t quite what I wanted to hear. Finally got the word – diabetic. I’ve been monitoring blood sugar intermittently since I have a history of diabetes in my family – but was kinda hoping I could avoid the label. Doc has scheduled a variety of medical appointments for me all the way into the first part of April so I'll definitely be staying here into April.

Friday YIPPEE 43 degrees this AM – got all the way up to the 55 before the sun went down! Of course, it's raining. Propane truck came – I’m good to go with propane now; Gary the RV repair guy came to replace my shattered roof vent – that job’s done; bone density exam in Portland TX in the afternoon.

Before I left for Portland, I set my propane tank is at the end of my pad with the check taped to it. Came home and my tank was GONE! Cleo and Bob were standing in the road talking and I asked about my tank. Cleo said the guy took it – DARN! Was there something wrong with it -- then Bob started laughing. They had put it back in the rack for me and hooked it up! I'll never be able to repay these guys around here for all they do for me! It’s because of such kindness and generosity that folks like me can continue to RV.

Earlier in the day I had put a slab of beef ribs in the crock pot. Actually, I only bought the ribs (big ol' cow ribs!) so Li'lBit would have some bones. I'll probably just pick the meat off and make some soup. I suppose, if I skim the fat off, veg soup isn't too bad for the ol' diet! Stopped at the vegetable market on the way home and picked up some cabbage, a few carrots and some zucchini squash for soup. I had plenty of celery and green pepper! Turned out quite good! No recipe – just chop and dump into the pot. Ate from the pot for 2 days.

We made it up to 55 degrees (no sun!) -- weatherman said our low for the nite would be 55 so I guess we hit the high and low at the same time.

Saturday no major plans for the weekend. I really need to get back to working on that spot on my carpeting that was left when the slide pulled in last trip. Build A Burger nite at the activities bldg. Burgers and all the trimmings -- a whole table full of condiments, baked beans and chips, and root beer floats for desert! I'm stuffed and miserable! Ain't Life Grand!

Took a pass on the Sunday nite ice cream social. I probably should have stayed home Saturday night and not gone out in the rain/dampness. I’m paying the coughing cruddy price for that excursion up to build-a-burger! But it was worth it.

Pork Roast and Sauerkraut
This recipe serves 10-12 people; I use a smaller roast and one bag or can of sauerkraut (with juice), 1 apple ¼ cup brown sugar and ½ cup apple juice. If you don’t like a strong flavor of sauerkraut, you can drain and rinse the kraut and increase the amount of apple juice.

3 pound pork roast
3 packages (2 pounds each) sauerkraut
2 apples, peeled and sliced
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup apple juice

Place meat in large crock pot. Drain and discard juice from 1 package of sauerkraut. Place sauerkraut (including juice from 1 package) on top of meat. Add apples, brown sugar and apple juice. Cover. Cook on high for 4 to 5 hours. Serve with mashed potatoes or spaetzel.

No comments: