Saturday, February 26, 2011

February 14 - 20 A Trip Back to Gatesville

Monday February 14 Sun was out, hardly any wind and 57 degrees! YIPPEE! It’s pack up and load up day, gas up the truck, check the tires – but not the RV this time – just a suitcase and the truck. Headed to Gatesville for a short visit.

In the process of packing up - guess who doesn't have a suit case! I sold them all at the yard sale when I moved into the RV! So, I traveled with a matched set of canvas shopping bags! I'm truly a BAG LADY! Li'lBit is packed in an elegant yellow Dollar Store bag!

Sun was shining and it was warm. Li'lBit and I hit the beach for a few minutes on Monday.

Tuesday 63 degrees at 5:30AM The predicted fog didn’t seem to appear. On the road by 8AM. I figured, without the RV the trip should only be about 5½ hours. And without the RV, it was so easy to just pull off at all those yummy BBQ places and the Czech Bakery in Le Grange.

Amazing how much fun driving can be when I’m not hauling the RV! I could use my rearview mirror and actually see the road out my rear window, I could pull off anytime Li’lBit decided it was potty time or anytime I decided the BBQ joints and bakeries looked like places to stop! I could use my cruise control, travel the speed limit – all those wonderful things I’d missed when towing. And best of all, it only takes about half the fuel.I made it on less than ½ tank of diesel!

I arrived in Gatesville mid-afternoon, checked into the Regency Motel and immediately headed out to Johnnie’s for coffee!

Wednesday AM, Li’lBit and I went to her vet in town to get a refill on her skin meds, then off to lunch with Brenda and her sister, Ellen. Cindy popped in to pick up an order to go so had a chance to visit with her for awhile. The pasta place in town still gives too much food so had plenty left for supper.

Wednesday afternoon it was back out to Johnnie’s for more coffee – talk about a caffeine high!

Thursday it was breakfast with Johnnie. She fixed scrambled eggs, toast, bacon and of course coffee! Put the left over scrambled eggs in a baggie for Li’lBit and she certainly enjoyed them when we stopped for our picnic lunch on the way back to Rockport. Johnnie also gave me some starters from her aloe vera since mine got all mushy during our below freezing weather. Guess I didn’t have them protected enough.

I pulled into Rockport about 4PM, Nice trip without an RV behind the truck! Just another reason for me to feel comfortable about my decision to leave the 5th wheel here.

Everything was fine when I got back. EXCEPT, the little elves didn't come in and clean! I had left a key with the neighbor. Found out when I got back, the ambulance had been here to pick up Dick (my neighbor). Fortunately, he was home the next day.

Holly & Tinga were left here with their magic three day feeders and water. The minute I opened the door, Tinga was shouting to ‘come out.’ Holly was evidentially a little upset with me. She opened one eye to look at me from her corner of the bed, immediately hopped off the bed and retreated to her hiding place in the closet until Li'lBit went after her! Li'lBit was so glad to see Holly!

Went out to get some groceries on Friday -- stopped to chat with Deryl & Elke.

Went out Saturday nite with Dery & Elke for some BBQ. Went to the one BBQ place and they were out of most everything -- so came back into town to another place. If there is one thing we have plenty of in Texas, it’s BBQ joints! Had a nice BBQ Po'Boy sandwich. I do enjoy going out with them. They are fun to visit with.

Sunday Feb 20 71 degrees at noon. Li'l Bit and I spent much of the time outside -- so many folks just out walking and stopping to chat, didn't get much reading done. Came in for a bite to eat and when I went to go back out, Li'lBit didn’t go - she had fallen asleep and was snoring so loudly, I just left her alone!

Put a small pork roast in the crock pot early in the AM, sure smells good. No seasoning, nothing but pork. I cut some of it up and put it back in the freezer, put BBQ sauce on some and ate some ‘just plain pork!”

Gotta start getting serious about finding a small travel trailer.

2 comments:

Restaurants Brugge said...

I am very happy to after read this post. I really like and I hope you will continue with nice and attractive post. Thanks for the sharing.

Travel Links said...

Thanks for the share your personal story I really love this post and i think you are great.