Friday, May 13, 2011

April Comes to an End and I'm One Year Older!

Saturday breakfast has been cut back to once a month now that the winter Texans are gone and it’s just a few of us “left-overs” still in the trailerhood. It was really good. Tony was at the griddle with eggs to order. Allison was dishing up stuffed French toast -- looked like toasted cheese sandwiches but with a sweetened cheese cake center! Kathy made them and so I had to get the recipe! Orange juice and coffee and sausage. Not bad for $3!!

Finally decided to cash in some of my "reward points" on my credit card. Had enough points for a $100 Shell Oil gift card and a $25 Applebee's. Getting ready for my trip to Iowa! Of course, I’d much rather they lower the interest rate, but I’ll take the gift cards if that's all I can get!

Sunday was ‘work day” at the trailer. Since I plan on raiding my sister’s closet for linens, I made sure to measure the mattress! Too often queen size in an RV is not queen size for other beds! My queen size in the 5th wheel is queen size long and king size wide! In the meantime, until I can get to Iowa and ‘shop’ at My Sister’s Closet, I picked up a couple flat sheets at Castaways.

I've loaded a bunch of paper plates and plastic glasses. I buy enough stuff that comes in disposable plastic bowls with covers that I'll use those. I've packed just a couple cool whip containers to get me thru. What cooking utensils, measuring cups, measuring spoons, spatulas, etc, that I don't have here, I'll pick up at Castaways or wait until I get to Marshalltown and make a Good Will and Salvation Army run. I will be getting a coffee pot, small crock pot and toaster at Castaways or Good Will. Don't need anything but the coffee pot before I leave. I really don’t want to spend a bunch of bucks outfitting it.

I've got plenty of paper and cleaning supplies to take from here. I've even made up a small tool box from the duplicates that I have. I did buy a new Sewer hose and water hose -- wasn't going to use the USED one that was in the RV!

The space for a TV is only 15” wide. While at WalMart, I masured some of the smaller TVs. I went on line to see what was available to fit in my 15" wide space - not much! Probably gonna have to be one of those 12" or less screens. Not a pleasing idea.

Went to WalMart to pick up the part of the RX that wasn't available Friday. Seems there is some sort of 'computer glitch' with Medicare paying for diabetic supplies! hhhmmmm....and my CareMark Rx insurance won't pick it up 'cuz Medicare does! Ain't that grand! The pharmacist said to try again at the end of the week to see if "they have it worked out” (whatever that means!) I guess this is part of the 'cut' in Medicare - save a bit at a time! Do they plan on denying a different med each week or something! Anyway, my finger strips cost $40 for a box of 100 so I got them myself. Love government health care! Can’t wait to see what Medicare denies NEXT month!

Stopped and had the locksmith make two sets of keys for the trailer. Made a killing at Castaways - 3 flat sheets ($2 each) - one heavy enough to use as a light blanket. I can use them to cover the sofa, too (puppy & kitty hair, you know!) A 4 cup Mr Coffee for $2. Miscellaneous kitchen silverware, cooking stuff, and found the cutest sauce pan with lid. I think I'll keep that for here and take my Dollar Store special for the trailer. Picked up a little sewing box for 50 cents so I can make up a little sewing box from my big one and just leave it in the trailer. Came out of there with bags of stuff for under $20. Meant to run them to the trailer, but Donna called and wanted to meet for lunch at Whataburger; just cannot refuse a trip to Whataburger!

During the winter I got used to having the propane guy show up every Tuesday and Friday. That stopped in April. Need a tank, but think I will just wait until I get back from Iowa – certainly not going to use a full tank of propane prior to leaving for the summer.

Tuesday nites anyone in the park that wants to meets in town for supper – sometimes at Panjo's Pizza, sometimes at Mack’s BBQ.

Had a nice 1PM lunch on Wednesday with the Rockport Ladies at Charlotte Plummers. I'm not going to miss a trip to Charlotte Plummers! Ordered the small fried fish. It was a lot like the fish plate I like at Perkins when I'm in Marshalltown except Perkins has better flavored rice! But not nearly as large as the fried fish plate at the Sunrise Café in LeGrand Iowa! I had to park over 1/2 block away from the restaurant and made it in and out without walker and oxygen. Of course, going in was much easier than walking back on a full belly!

Getting frequent “Bad Air” and high humidity days. As long as the sun comes out and dries up the humidity, I can usually tolerate an afternoon outside at the patio table reading. If the sun doesn't come out and burn it off, on goes the A/C and I do my reading inside! Just such a rough time adapting to living in paradise!

Usually don’t spend much time over in the trailer – it does get warm inside that tin can, even with the vents open. Deryl offered to run a cord to hook up electric, but that’s not necessary – I can actually wait to put stuff away until I get to Gatesville or Iowa. Now I just unload it from the truck - push it in the trailer door and call it a day! Then start loading up the truck again for delivery the next day. I'm tellin' ya - when it came to unloading my truck in this heat, I'm glad I thought to toss the dolly in the truck so I could PULL my load instead of tote it! I did take over my battery operated fan – just in case I decide to spend some time inside.

Can't believe that I keep carrying shopping bags of stuff over there and still haven't made a dent in the floor space in the bunk area! And now I'm just about down having clothes, critters and food to cart over -- and I won't do that until the afternoon and morning before I pull out.

80 degrees, 65% humidity and I walked to and from the laundry - sweating like a stuck hog. But that's OK. When I got back I plunked down in front of the fan with the A/C on and a glass of ice tea! All is well with the world!

Went to church here in the park Easter Sunday. After church we had a potluck brunch for "fellowship!" Then went to Deryl & Elke's for lunch – they have such a wonderful family.

Tuesday was hair/nails, then lunch with Donna, and hope I get finished with lunch in time to go to Panjo's for pizza with the RV park group at 5PM! No, I didn’t eat pizza twice – small one for lunch and primavera for supper. Enough food both times to bring ½ home!

Back to Castaways to see if they have anything I need for the trailer. I try to check there at least once a week. I think I've just about raped, pillaged and plundered all I have in the RV. Then went by Deryl & Elke's to pick up some bird toys to deliver to the bird mart in Corpus Christi on Saturday. Deryl & Elke will be in Louisiana buying more FEMA trailers! He's getting quite a little business going with those things.

Slim pickin' at Castaways. Guess the Winter Texans have dropped off all of their overweight stuff and are all gone now. Nothin' much left on the shelves. Elke was saying that her son is having a yard sale the middle of May. Might be able to find my toaster, etc there. If not, I'll hit Goodwill when I get to Marshalltown. I think I have everything I need to make it to Iowa!

Had Holly out on her leash several times. She doesn't do much but mope around and try to get out of the harness. Oh, well, a little bit every now and then - she might get used to it!

April 27 stopped by the RV place - tags for my trailer were in so I needed to pick them up before going to lunch with the Rockport Ladies. They met for lunch at the Beach House - I like their salads and sandwiches. Getting the tags is like a birthday gift a day early! Now I have all I need to hit the road – heading North!

Another episode of “It’s a Small World.” The lady that sat across the table from me, Pat, is from Iowa. She heard me answer when asked when I headed for Iowa - wanted to know where I was from - she told me "I'm from Chariton.” I told her I knew Chariton. Enjoyed visiting there when my sister was a principal in the elementary school. Commented on how much I enjoyed the town square and fondly remember the wonderful candy -- her folks originally owned the grocery and the candy store!


Allison brought the flowers my sister sent to the RV -- sang happy birthday -- said they were too pretty to be hidden away in my RV - should have been left at the office!!!

Had a really good birthday - did absolutely nothing! Fourth Thursday is Friendship supper and game nite at the activity bldg. Like the ice cream social and Saturday AM breakfast, we only do it once a month. Just not many of us left here! Kathy made the best seafood lasagna! Carol brought her cornbread made with creamed corn and broccoli, Allison brought oven-fried chicken (she dips it in coconut milk before she breads it!). Then there was scalloped potatoes, potato salad, Caesar salad. I took the pink stuff with cherry pie filling, pineapple, marshmallows, walnuts, cool whip. Just piggy-piggy-piggy! They sang Happy Birthday to me!

Took Li'lBit with to the trailer; she was NOT pleased! Of course her eye sight is really bad and it is all new and new smells. If I had been thinking, I’d have taken a blanket that smelled like her and Holly – at least she could have recognized the smell.
Was too hot to just set in there with her for any length of time, but I put her on the bed, the sofa, the dining booth, let her sniff around in the bathroom. Gonna really have to get creative about getting some steps for her to get up on the bed. Either that or I'll have to pick her up and down...and that isn't gonna work! She's too old now to be expected to sleep on the FLOOR! Hopefully after a few days,once we all move in, she will get used to it.

Went thru my cupboards and pulled out all the open stuff and pasta - stuff that will get lots of 'Wheat Weevils" while I'm gone. Might as well take it with me as have to toss it out when I get back.

Headed off to Corpus Christi on the 30th. 78 degrees and 78% humidity - not going to be a good air day to be roaming thru a room with birds! Took my walker & portable oxygen concentrator (just in case!) It was nice to see some of the old 'bird folks."

I was really quite amazed - I haven't driven in Corpus since I came down here 6 years ago to look for an RV park! I used to do the Corpus bird mart (they had it at a different location) - but that was just in and out. I can still find my old Motel 6! That's my starting/focal point when I need to go anywhere in Corpus! But since I've been in Rockport, I have ridden with Deryl & Elke, so this was the first time I've driven myself. Managed to get in and out without getting lost -- only got lost after I was out of Corpus and in Aransas Pass (and I go there about once a month!) Go Figure!

April comes to an end and I’m one year older!!

No comments: