Friday, June 19, 2009

And Life Goes On......

This past week has been on-again-off-again rains and storms – but nothing like I experienced last year…and much cooler and more pleasant than my friends in central TX are experiencing with their triple-digit temps. My weather radio has only gone off a couple of times since I've been here. Of course, one of those times brought 94 mph straight line winds! That's a little more than I'm comfortable with - and when the rains come, according to my little rain gauge, we get 2 or more inches in less than an hour.

With the temps in the 50s and lower 60s in the morning – going into the upper 70s or lower 80s during the day – if the rain isn’t ruining my outside time, Li’lBit and I spend our days out at the picnic table -- morning coffee, brushing Li'lBit, lunch, brushing Li'lBit, reading, brushing Li'lBit...You get the idea! Since my eye is still pain free, I’m reading, reading, reading. And, not wearing my tinted lens or the sun glasses as often – the eye is less light sensitive….and I’m grateful for all I can get.

As the weather permitted, I worked on my ‘flower garden.’ I found some good sales on plants and repotted my cookie jar planter with a red geranium. Found some really nice spreading petunias, pink and white, for my flower boxes.

I survived the transfer to digital Hi-Def TV without any problems – managed to get the converter box hooked up and working just like I knew what I was doing. But I do have to say, sometimes technology Ain’t So Great! The one time I really enjoy (and use) the TV is during storms to watch the Doppler radar weather – and when does this digital Hi-Def TV go bonkers – when it is storming. I lose the picture, the sound goes crazy….WHEW – bring back Analog! Fortunately, weather radar is also available on line with the computer.

Lately I’ve become quite a crockpot ‘cooker’! I consider it my modern day Dutch oven. Put my meal in the crockpot in the AM and let it go all day long and I don’t have to worry about it – basically, it doesn’t interfere with my time outside enjoying the weather and the surroundings.

My sister woke up with a good case of bronchitis and pink eye a few days ago and stayed away – figured I didn’t need either with my lungs and my eye! But, we met on the 14th for supper. She definitely needed a break – it was her last week in school with the kids there! She was ready for a ‘get away.’ We stopped at Perkins for their ‘senior’ menu – and had breakfast for dinner – and I drank WAY too much coffee for that time of day – didn’t sleep much that nite and was up early in the AM – but it gave me an early start of all this work I have to do being retired!! Laundry being one of them. AND, since I was awake most of the nite on my ‘coffee high,’ I realized that my quilt smelled like wet dog feet. So off to the laundry.

My crazy parrot, Tinga, has a ‘thing’ for buttons – she will pop a button off of a shirt in a flash! So, on these rainy days, I’m working at getting buttons put back on shirts and sweaters!! Doesn’t this sound like a really exciting life!

The morning of the 17th brought fog – and I mean FOG -- lasted well into the morning. Makes it a ‘bad air’ day for ‘lungers.’ Later in the day Bea brought ice cream out – and of course, Li’lBit gets her share.

Mary, the owner of the park, stopped by to tell me that the Military Vehicle Preservation Association (http://www.mvpa.org/) will be coming by the park Monday. They are recreating the Transcontinental Convoy to commemorate the 1919 Army Convoy across the US on the Lincoln Highway. They will be stopping at the fair grounds for lunch. I’m hoping the weather cooperates so I can get out to the road to take pictures. This RV park is on the old Lincoln Highway.

Today, June 19, Bea and I went to Colo, IA for lunch at the Twin Anchors Café – had a really great breaded pork tenderloin – don’t ask what my cholesterol is! Then off to the county park to meet and visit with some cyber-friend RVers camped over there for the week. On the way back stopped at the RV service place and picked up a few odds and ends for the RV – life doesn’t get much better than this!

No comments: