Monday, June 1, 2009

Eye Appointment Report

I had my appointment with the eye clinic today. Doc was nice - did a really thorough eye exam -- even took pictures of the eye -- basically said there isn't much to do right now -- the way the blood vessels are growing across the cornea, a transplant would be kinda risky and the chance is high that it wouldn't take due to the herpes virus in the eye and the blood vessels would eventually regrow over the lens. OK -- that was the bad news,

Initially, I don't think he wanted to do much other than give me a "second opinion" until he realized that I was here for several months. Then he offered to refer me to VA in DesMoines, who in turn could refer me to their surgeons in Iowa City for another evaluation. He did change two of my eye meds and wants to see me in a month.

Right now, I'm going to try the new meds, see him in one month -- and probably ask if he would accept my care since I plan on being here "quite awhile" -- I'll just leave it at "quite awhile" until I see what he says.

I have been seen by VA hospital/clinic in Temple TX for several years with the eye problem -- not sure another VA could offer me anything else.

Did have a nice lunch with my sister at a Mexican restaurant here in Marshalltown after the appointment, then headed to WalMart to pick up my new prescriptions.....WalMart is everywhere I go -- so the RX will be available.

Right now I'm setting here in Visual Limbo -- not knowing much more than I knew this morning before the appointment.

No comments: