Saturday, July 17, 2010

July 12-17 Hot and Humid is a good description!

Sunday July 11 I wanted something sweet, checked the fridge and had everything I needed to make a peanut butter pie. My recipe is kinda bland so I took some old peanut butter cups, smushed them with the rolling pin, placed them on the crust before I poured in the peanut butter filling. Why hadn't I thought of that before! Next time I make it I’m going to put some smushed up peanut butter cups in when I mix the filling. I had too much filling for the pie crust, so I kept the extra filling for myself and forced my sister to take the pie.

Monday July 12 Here comes the rain, here comes the rain! At least the heavy storms stayed away. Don't mind thunder, but the winds really get old! Gully washer for about 15-20 minutes, then a slow rain for awhile, then the sun and then skeeters came out! The owners of the park spray the park frequently for skeeters, but I think some of them just suck in the fumes and grow bigger!

Not sure how much rain - still can't find my rain gauge. If I don't find it soon or get a new one, I won't need one 'til next spring! It's a good day to stay in side with the dehumidifier going and a good book! HEAVY Air.

Tuesday morning I headed off in the fog to get the laundry done,takin' the main roads, the long way around and didn’t try the back roads, the fog was really thick! By the time I got home, it was so sticky and humid outside, decided to defrost the freezer. I found some seafood from last winter when I was in Rockport -- made a seafood pie. I think I could eat the WHOLE THING! It's time like this I'm glad my sister doesn't like seafood – I don’t have to share!

By Wednesday, I thought I had moved back to TX! At 3PM, 93 degrees, 72% humidity, heat index 112! That's when you know you are living in a tin can! My lungs were NOT happy! God Bless Air Conditioning! Best part of the day -- a voice from my past. His health is not the best, but the voice is strong and the attitude is good. Always nice to hear from friends.

Went out to Chinese place for supper with my sister and her friends, Jim and Kathy. Kathy had picked up an Iowa Tourism book for me. Time to plan some more day trips!

Just haven't quite had the get-up-and-go to get up and go! I do want to get up to see the "barn quilts" in Guthrie County, just north of here. I also want to head down to Winterset and see the Bridges of Madison County before I head back to Texas.

Nice day Friday. Li'lBit and I took the garbage to the dumpster and spent most of the day outside. Doesn’t that just sound like a busy day!

My sister worked on her yard most of the day, then went into the office for awhile. Decided it was not a good day to go home and cook so we went to the Sunrise CafĂ© in LeGrand, famous for their huge breakfast, for Friday nite fish fry, “all you can eat!” UNBELIEVABLE. Fish, choice of potato, soup or salad, corn, and dessert. Well, after the salad and my baked potato, most of the fish found its way into a ‘to go’ box, along with most of Bea’s French fries. Needless to say, we did not get additional fish and didn’t have dessert. Guess what was on the lunch menu for the weekend.

After pigging out on fried fish Friday evening, I wasn't sure I would still be alive Saturday morning. Not sure I want to see my cholesterol report when I go back to the doc!

Saturday brought 89 degrees here with heat index of 98! My A/C kicked in about noon and I plunked down in my recliner with my book. Interesting book. Helluva Town by Richard Goldstein. The story of New York City during World War II. When I finish this book, I'll get back to my Elena Skrabina (Helene Scriabine) books. They are gradually getting here from Amazon.com.

No comments: