Sunday, July 4, 2010

June Comes to an End, June 21 - 30, 2010

You can't say there isn't a lot to do here in Iowa. June 21 was the first day of the Great Iowa Tractor Ride - 575 tractors, all shapes, sizes, conditions convoying around and thru Burlington, IA and surrounding areas for 3 days.

June 22 I had a special request to the folks in Nebraska and Kansas -- Keep your DAMN STORMS to yourself! I've had it with you 'gifts' of wind and moisture! But, soon the sweet corn will be in and soooo good!

How can I not love Iowa in the spring! Weather radio started at 8PM, didn't get much sleep between alarms, wind, rain, stuff falling from the trees and landing on the RV roof! Much of the mess went north, they asked not to travel to the 2 counties north of here, too many roads flooded and closed. Band of storms stretched back to Omaha.

June 23, some good news, my laptop is on its way home,no cost, under warranty. Should be here Friday – Famous Last Word – SHOULD BE HERE!

Sun out, radar clearing (usually does when the sun hits those thunder-boomer clouds!) so out I went to put up my flags and my hanging baskets.

My sister came out to pick up Li'lBit and me and take us to DQ! Li'lBit loves a 'cone in a cup.’ Usually the only time she gets them is when she is coming home from the vet. I think she kinda wondered why she got one today without a vet trip! Can't believe my sis let the dog ride in HER CAR! Oh, well! It was fun!

On the drive home it looked and sounded like the rain was heading back. Thunder in the distance and the sun disappeared. These storms moved SOUTH again! I really feel sorry for south east Iowa, they've been hit bad for 3 days!

June 24th, Ahhh...Life is Good. 64 degrees, sun shining, weather radar clear, had lunch with my sister at Burger King.

Friday I waited at my sister's house all day for FedEx and my laptop. They still hadn’t updated the on-line tracking log. After a day’s wait, no laptop; called FedEx. It's in, would be on Monday's truck. So we do it all over again! While there wating, Bea was nice enough to bring me a sandwich for lunch; she should have stayed at work. Backing out of her drive she creamed my left front truck fender with her rear right fender. My 1 Ton Dually won! Her brand new Eclipse hybrid needs to go to the hospital and get all better. OOOPS! Poor Bea!

11:30PM Friday evening I was up glued to weather radar. This time Minnesota sent it down. I watched the light blue, dark blue and then the green bands pass by, then came the yellow followed by a pretty solid red/orange grouping. By this time, I’m really good at this weather radar! It was movin' fast it was outta here by a little after midnite. Back to bed!

June 26 I decided to take a nap so I'd be ready to stay up for the nite’s
thunder-boomers! Hey! Minnesota - keep your storms up that way! I saw 'em on the Radar, you can't hide 'em from me!

June 27 The sweet corn truck is in town! YIPPEE!!! I'm having fresh sweet corn today! Life is really good. No brightly colored radar; no weather radio alarms; the sound of the train going down the track was really the train going down the track! Weather man promised me a week of DRY weather! And my belly is full of fresh Iowa corn on the cob -- sooooo sweet! And FedEx said my laptop is coming home on the truck the next day.

June 28, An entire day of sunshine, no weather alerts (except the Iowa river is about to go out of its banks north of town), sunshine and upper 70s/lower 80s all week. Laptop is home, battery is charging, it works! Had great sandwich at The Junction with my sister and some friends. Can't get any better than that!

Starting to worry about Hurricane Alex – headed to Tex-Mex border area.

June 29 Had a picnic with Li'lBit. Weather was great, sunny, cool, stopped at Kentucky Fried and picked up some chicken, drove to the roadside park in Tama, just down the road, took the radio, my book, spent a couple of hours, Li'lBit napped in the grass! Stopped at Dairy Queen on the way home so Li'Bit could get her cup of DQ, again without a vet trip!

Wednesday, June is just about gone. Went to the shoe store (a real shoe store where they measure your feet & everything!) Found 2 pair of shoes that nearly cost me the national debt, but they feel so good. Then home, tossed out the old shoes, picked up Li’lBit. Stopped at the grocery, for bread, lunch meat (cheap bologna, it's Li'lBit's fav!) cheese, chips & headed to the park for some afternoon reading and sandwiches before we came home early evening.

And June 2010 comes to an end.

No comments: