Thursday, June 23, 2011

A Visit in Gatesville, May 26 - 31

MAY 26 – moving north day! 6:30 AM and already 78 degrees! Packed up the last bit in the truck and headed to Deryl & Elke’s. Took no time at all to hitch up and move out. Terrific trip – easy trip – Just about 6 hours up Highway 77 and over to Gatesville on Highway 36. Gatesville a little after suppertime. Fred was there to help me unhitch. Sure is easier for me than that 5th wheel. Trailer pulls like a dream -- had to look back to make sure it was there! Coming up with the 5er, I would fill up just south of Temple -- if not, I'd run out of fuel or go in an the fumes! Took just about 3/4 tank towing the trailer -- and I was clipping right along about 65-70 most of the way with the A/C blasting on full/high! As soon as I ran out to Johnnie’s for coffee, I could start trying to figure where to put all my stuff in such a little space!

Friday the truck went into Orville’s for oil change and a check-over. Haven’t had anymore trouble with the oil gauge since I hit the guy on the trike! Guess the impact knocked whatever was stuck ‘unstuck!’

It’s great seeing Brenda again. Brenda and Samantha came into town and we met for supper – and she was loaded down with a big box of mail, catalogues, magazines, etc. Took me most of my time in Gatesville to go through all of the stuff!

Sunday dinner at Johnnie’s – she fixed chicken fried steak, frog eye salad – my ‘coming home’ Sunday dinner! Yummy meal-- not only did she have my favorites - she made one of her 'world famous' chocolate cakes for my birthday. Of course, it didn't seem like Sunday at Johnnies since all of Dori's bunch was gone!

Hadn’t done any laundry for about 2 weeks before I hit the road – brought it all with me and hit the laundromat Sunday afternoon. Nice and quiet(and cool) when I got there; I was the only one there! By the time I left, it was filling up and really getting hot and humid. Speaking of HOT - 97 degrees. Only 30% humidity but that means every little breeze stirs up clouds of dust! Sure glad I moved away from here! I'm already 'feeling' it!

Gonna take me awhile to figure out what goes where, there is so little storage and next to nothing for under-compartments! I know I brought too much stuff, but I was cleaning out the 5th wheel and tossed all of my "extra stuff" into the trailer!

L'ilBit and Holly don't seem too happy with their new home and Tinga is down-right pissed that she is in a smaller cage. Oh, well, it's just for the summer and summer homes are never as big as winter homes! Oh, and I have to get used to my laptop again with this tiny keyboard and this screwy mouse pad thing! I think, when I get to Iowa, I'll probably invest in a mouse and keyboard -- or it could be a long summer for me, too!

Definitely didn't get far enough NORTH soon enough! Still in the upper 90s every day. Doesn't get below 75 degrees at nite! Good thing I have an A/C!
Mary Jane had to come to Gatesville so we spent 1/2 the afternoon gossiping at Swindalls! Brenda came in to visit for awhile. Then went to Ace Hardware to pick up the water filter and electric 'dog bone' I needed. Johnnie’s son Toby is manager and I was talking to him Sunday - can't find a 50 amp to 30 amp dog-bone electric adapter -- my trailer is 30 amp and all the boxes here in the RV park are 50 amp -- Fred had one so I'm borrowing his but need to get one for the trailer. Of course, I have one in the 5th wheel! Have a water regulator there, too. Now I have one of each in each place! Are we talking 'duplicates' here?

No comments: