Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Day Trip on the White Pole Road

Monday, July 25th, I made a 280 mile day trip. I've wanted to take a ride down the White Pole Road ever since I read about it while researching the Lincoln Highway.

My trip started out in Marshalltown, down I-80 with a stop at Freedom Rock, back on I-80 a few miles west and north to Adair. That is the first town (from the west) on the White Pole Road.

From Adair, I headed east on the White Pole Road through Casey, Menlo, Stuart and Dexter. The white poles marking the route end in Dexter. From there I took the Dexfield Road north to Redfield. From Redfield, east to Adel. North out of Adel to Perry and from Perry back to Marshalltown.

Terrific day! Would have been nicer if some of the stores, cafes and diners had been open on Monday. I had my heart, and stomach, set on some good small town diner food, but ended up with a ham salad sandwich, a bag of potato chips, RC Cola, and a slice of pizza from a Quick Stop! My sister saved the day by taking me out for a steak sandwich when I got back into town!

Since I'm not sure just when I'll get the entire trip up on the blog, I didn't want you to think I got lost and kept running in circles!

No comments: