Wednesday, July 13, 2011

I'll Admit It! I Was "Shakin'" Scared!

Monday July 11 I survived Round 1! Winds in excess of 60 mph. It hit before I could get to the 'safe place' so rode it out in the RV. All I could think of was: Let's get this over with -- right now I think I'm scared! Li'lBit was having a seizure -- guess she is my 'storm alert!' Lost power. Without power, I don’t have water.

Computer battery good for 2 hours; wifi battery for about 1 hour. Weather radio and transistor radio have back up batteries. Both power pals have lost some ‘juice’ just setting, but should be able to get a couple of hours out of each if needed. Fridge goes to propane; lights in trailer are 12 Volt but only one storage battery. Not sure how long that would last.

The storm was a goodie! I could tell by the headlights of the vehicles going down the road that trees and power lines were down. A big branch from the tree behind my trailer decided to fall, fortunately away from my trailer. Park owners came by to check on everyone and said winds in excess of 70 mph when it came thru. South side of Marshalltown took the big hit - no tornado reported at that time-- just winds. Semis blown over.

Later we would find out that the winds were 80 - 110 mph and a tornado did ‘dip down’ in the area, just didn’t touch down. Which probably accounts for the way so many trees were twisted off about mid-way on the trunk and long stretches of utility poles were just snapped off.

Just a little humor in all this mess – it was trash collection day in Grimes. Trash bags and trash cans blown all over – not a pretty mess! Don't imagine it was humorous to the people in Grimes. But when I heard about it on the radio, I really needed a good chuckle.

Just before sun-up we were hit with a second round of winds.

As soon as it was light enough, I was out looking for damage, missing plants and bird feeders! Supposed to have had an eye appointment but without power in the city all appointments were to be rescheduled. Trees down all over in the park - truck across from me took a hit when a huge branch fell. The guys are out with the chain saws trying to clean up as soon as there was enough light. Prayers and my ruby red slippers and my new ‘lucky charm,’ my bunny angle garden statue, saved me one more time!

After my first year up here and surviving a string of tornados and high winds, my sister gave me a pair of little girls red sequined dress shoes so I'd have some ruby red slippers! They are my "lucky slippers!" They go with me everywhere!

Later in the day Bea and I took a drive around the area. Gave me a chance to recharge my computer battery in her car! Can't believe the damage. Trees not only twisted off but also uprooted, roofs gone, trees into buildings, outbuildings completely missing in the country - only a concrete pad and some 'junk' left. An entire roof in a ditch. Metal out buildings didn’t seem to stand a chance. More places are using those canvas/tarp covered hoop buildings and they are also all over the fields and on the ground.


Not sure if there will be any more corn. It is all laying FLAT in the fields. Not a good year - too wet to plant, then to cold to grow, finally gets started with a late harvest and now it is laying flat in the field. Glad I'm not farming this year!

Water and electric back about 7:30 PM. The only damage I have found (so far!) - one shattered bathroom skylight. A little duct tape will keep that until I can get back to TX to get it repaired. Thanks Matt for coming to my rescue. I do NOT get up on ladders and trailer roofs!

I’ll admit it - I was damn scarfed as I was laying huddled on the couch with a quilt over my head, hanging onto Li'lBit have a seizure. Not sure which of us was shaking more! I've ridden out some goodies, but this one just wouldn't quit – then when it did, it came around again! Fortunately I took the wind hits on the rear end of the trailer. Not sure I would have stayed up if the wind had hit me on the side.

Another round of storms predicted for late Monday nite/early Tuesday AM but ‘split’ and circled north and south. A full nite of sleep without weather radio alarms going off or having to get up and watch weather radar! Could have slept all day -- cool with a breeze in the AM (but heat advisory and more storms in afternoon-ICK!) The sound of chain saws and wood choppers work me about 6AM! And, you know, I just cannot hear or see a wood chopper without thinking of the movie Fargo and seeing that guy feed that body into the chopper with only the legs and feet sticking out! But I do love that movie!

Next batch of storms was just about 40 miles down the road and headed this way -- but all was well with the world -- no dark red or bright orange on the radar.
But when it hit, it came with winds and pounding rain. I didn't know those high basket cranes could lower so rapidly! They were trimming out the trees and using one of those basket cranes – never saw so many workers disappear for cover so fast! All that rain, then the sun followed by the heat and humidity . Not good for me, but, oh, that corn loves it! Can you tell I really want my Iowa sweet corn!

Repotted all of my plants Tuesday. As they were cleaning up the park, when they found a empty flower pot, they sat it on my table. All of my plants were left potless laying on the ground around the trailer. Wrapped the roots in paper to try to keep them moist until I could get new pots. Now they have all been repotted -- awaiting the next storm!

My big tote box found its way home. I had stored it (empty) under the trailer, It was missing after the storm. The lid was right there - hadn't moved except it wasn't ON the box! Mick found it down in the creek - over a barbed wire fence. That thing had to have been airborne to get thru all of these old oak trees, over a fence and down to the creek. There isn't a scratch on it! The wind does amazing things!

Wednesday the 13th, major portions of the city still without power. Most popular vehicles in town are those belonging to tree service companies and power companies. Electric crews from Wisconsin seen in town today. Took a chance that a Laundromat would be open so headed off to my regular spot first thing in the morning and, a sight for sore eyes! There it was - doors open and lights on! Within a few minutes every machine, washer and dryer was in use. Folks were bringing trash bags full of wet and moldy smelling clothes, blankets, bedding, and rugs. Watching them, listening to them tell their tales of the storm, again I realize just how lucky I was!

From the sounds of the stories, three small towns near Marshalltown are trying to recover. Haverhill, Garwin and Clutier took major hits. It’s so hard for small communities to bounce back.

1 comment:

Roadrunner said...

Glad you are OK.Those storms are NOT fun in an RV.