Sunday, July 3, 2011

Here Comes Summer, June 19-30

Sunday the 19th, Bea and I went out for breakfast, our Sunday ritual. One of the restaurants here in town just started to offer Sat/Sun breakfast -- actually it is more of a 'sports bar' kinda place. Wasn't a bad breakfast - just kinda pricey. I had a skillet breakfast -- chicken fried steak diced up with hashbrowns, cheddar cheese, scrambled eggs and covered in white peppered gravy. As usual, brought half of it home! It was good, but cannot compare to the Sunrise Café in LeGrand!

I picked up sausage links, brautwurst and some pork chops at the grocery, along with a small bag of new red potatoes and planned to grill them with some herbs, zucchini, green pepper, onion, carrots and whatever else I found in the fridge. But my little electric grill died! Bought it at WalMart about 6 years ago – paid all of $18 for it! You’d think it would last forever! But, my sister rode to the rescue. She had a smalll portable Weber grill she had never used, just setting on a shelf in here garage. Now it is setting on a table by my RV! It’s going to take some re-learning – been awhile since I’ve used a charcoal grill.

Happy First Day of Summer! Weather radio went off 12 times between the time I shut down the TV about 10:30 until I decided to crawl out of bed at 12:30 and watch radar on the computer! Could hear the tornado sirens going off in town. Judy came by twice to see if I was OK! Finally went back to bed about 2AM. The Ruby slippers did their thing again! They sure do work!

Woke up Wednesday morning realizing No Weather Radio ALL NITE! Did wake up a couple of times and hit the 'test' button just to make sure it was still working! Thought maybe the last few nites burned it out!

Went to town to do some laundry, check the grocery ads in the newspaper and pick up a few things from the market. I love the newspaper coupons for the meat market! By afternoon it was getting quite windy and dreary. Too windy, damp, chilly to be outside! I can't believe the wind. Not even blowing hard enough to rock the trailer but it just won't stop blowing! Sounds really eerie! Temps dropped all day with predicted 50s at nite – time to get out a blanket!

Have been letting Tinga out to fly about the trailer in the AM. She is definitely a ‘happy camper’ when she is out and about! She is getting better about ‘going home’ on her own. The command “Go Home” means go back to your cage. She is finally learning that THIS current cage is the ‘home’ she is to go to! I suppose she will have to re-learn ‘home’ when we get back to her other cage!

Made some "dessert" and have that in the freezer - just cool whip, instant pudding mix, powdered coffee creamer. But it's really good and I've had some "sweet attacks" for a couple of days. My blood sugar hasn't been low enough to indulge -- even tho a couple of times in the evenings I was about to get into the truck and hit McDonalds or DQ for some ice cream!

Quickie Anytime Easy Dessert
1 package instant pudding mix (any flavor)
3 cups non-dairy whipped cream
2 cups fat free non-dairy creamer (use dry)
1 cup water
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla (or any complimentary flavor)

Combine ingredients in a large bowl. Mix with a mixer until smooth. Pour into plastic container and freeze 2-3 hours.

Survived another storm Sunday nite. I did some rock'n'rollin' here at the park! Wind wasn't hitting me direct from the west so I got a bit of 'side sway!' Poor Li'lBit decided to have a seizure in the middle of the wind so that kinda took my mind off of the swaying.

Did a 'walk-around' in the AM - everything OK. The power of the wind amazes me -- two big flower pots were blown over and not one single seed blown out of the bird feeder!

Went into Verizon to get a new phone and find out what was wrong with my USB Modem. Signed up for their "over 65" plan -- cut back on the number of minutes I use on the phone since I never went over the amount on my other plan. Should cost me about $10-20/month less. I guess it was time to upgrade. I’ve had this phone for near to 6 years and have to tape the cover on to keep the battery from falling out! And, my Alltel USB modem, the same age as the phone, was starting to drop connections – actually, it was getting difficult to get a good solid connection. I guess it was just worn out. Not sure just how to use this new modem thingy -- seems like it takes a lot of prompts to get it going but I'll just have to get used to it -- teach the old dog some new tricks.

An evening trip to Perkins for salad. Nice to see Gene and Vickie.

Woke up Tuesday 28th unable to believe I slept another nite without a weather radio going off! A sunny outside kinda day! Li'lBit and I will could be found at the picnic table!! Judy mowed last nite and stirred up the skeeters so I had to use a ton of Yard Guard!

I think I know why the previous owners may have gotten rid of this trailer -- it is a pain in the ass getting up in that bed and if I have to get up at nite, it is like jumping out a window! I cannot set on the edge of the bed and put my feet on the floor. I had to get me a two-step step-stool and then I have to use my cane to keep from falling off the stool! What a pain in the butt! But I can live with that! This is the perfect size to tow and bring to Iowa!

Excessive heat advisory for the 29th. I managed to be outside most of the day. I can handle some hot & stuffy when there is a breeze - maybe that's why I get along so well in Rockport . Hot is stuffy is great for the sweet corn and I can’t wait to get my hands on some fresh corn direct from the fields!

June 30th I headed over to Williamsburg to meet with Ingrid, Judi and Sherri – some ‘old folks’ I went to school with many years ago! Sherri couldn’t make it, but Ingrid, Judi and I managed to find enough to talk about to keep us there from about 1PM – nearly 5PM! Love getting together with friends!

No comments: