Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Jefferson Highway – Day 2 -- 154 miles



Greeting from Muskogee OK. Pulled in about 1 PM.   I learned two things, important things today -- #1 don't stop at a convenient store or a gas stations to ask directions, if they do speak English, they have absolutely no idea about any monuments or battle fields, and #2, don't judge a book by its cover -- I pulled into a motel, saw a guy staggering across the parking lot, didn't know if I should just turn around and pull out -- he didn't look too 'cool!' But decided to stay - when I got to the office, he opened and held the door, I then noticed the Viet Nam Vet cap and the artificial leg -- WOW -- did I feel like a jerk! Got me one of my 'special rooms!' Mom and Pop operation -- $35/nite! Can't beat it!

I left Atoka about 8:30 AM – fueled up and got a bag of ice to keep the sodas and tea cool.  Started my day off with a chuckle.  Two men were fueling up at the pump across from me – between the two of them, they had 4 or 5 credit cards – tried each of them, couldn’t remember the zip code – seems they are all from a business address or something, not their personal cards.  Ended up they pooled some cash and used that to pay.   So, strange things strike my fancy!

Then I proceeded to pass right by the cemetery and stage coach trail.  About 15 miles down the road, I found a place to turn around and go back.  Still didn’t find the battle field – stopped at two gas stations and no one had any idea what I was talking about….OK – lots of folks with an interest in history, I see!!



Drove around McAlester – found the cattle drive statuary but it is located in a spot where it is impossible to get a picture – just off the 4-lane and no area wide enough to pull off – it sets up on a rise so it is a difficult angle.  But I tried.  They have some beautiful old buildings down town.  Seems this part of the country does a really good job of trying to save and repurpose the buildings.




One thing I can say about this area of Oklahoma – there must have been a really good sale on buffalo statues!  They are all over the place!  This is definitely Buffalo Country.

Went on to Eufala and Crowder – took the drive thru both towns, some attractive older buildings being maintained.  Thought maybe I’d stop at the Tastee Freeze in Eufala, but it seems the whole world stops there.  Didn’t need a cone that bad in the morning.  I found the clocks in downtown Eufala fascinating -- and the buildings are so well kept.



Missed another battle field in Checotah.   I think I’m going to need to come back to Texas on this route and try to pick up what I’m missing.  The folks at the Muskogee tourist place drew me a map – I’ll find it the next time.   There is a definite problem with the marking of these places.  I’d think they would have more signage, especially on the highway.  Maybe it is down because of all of the road construction – there is plenty of THAT!  No shortage of orange signs in Oklahoma!

Since I had such great luck trying to find places today, when I got to Muskogee, I decided to pull into the tourist info place – smart move.  Nice retired couple manning the shop today and gave me more info than I can ever use.  Must have spent over an hour just chatting with them about the various things along the Jefferson Highway.    I think I’ll survive my stay in Muskogee and see what I came to see.  They gave me a terrific map of the area and even highlighted places and directions.  I guess they could see I was directionaly challenged!

Since I arrived early, I went out to see the submarine (USS Batfish)  at the Memorial Park – no, I didn’t tour the sub – the Navy was kind enough to assign me temporary duty on an Aussie diesel sub at Pearl Harbor for repair – I reported daily to the sub as the supply clerk.  That was enough “sub service” for me!    I followed the old Jefferson Highway as it meandered thru town on my way back.  Got caught in some traffic at Balcone College – was going to look for a marker for Milly Francis, the Creek Pocahontas, but will try to go back and pick that up in the AM – it will be on my way out of town.

If I can pull myself together – and not look like 2 days of bad road – I would like to attend a talk at the 3 Rivers Museum tonite on the Civil War in the Indian Territory.   I figure if I can’t find the battle fields, I can at least listen to the talk.

No comments: