Sunday, March 14, 2010

Keep Your Hands off of MY Clock! 3/7-13

Sunday, March 7, I woke to 61 degrees - 40% chance of rain, 10 mph winds and cloudy
Had a surprise when I went outside. Some critter had found my trash. Not a big mess - just chewed a hole in the trash bag. I had closed it up and dropped it outside the door last nite since it had some old soggy veggies in it and I didn't want it stinking up the RV. So that was my own stupidity for not taking it to the back of the truck.

Actually, that was my SECOND surprise -- Holly Puked Again! Haven’t had that problem for some time. Will have to watch her for a few days.

Li'lBit and I made a trip to Wally World early. Didn't need much but I like to read the Sunday paper. I have to buy my own every week since my sister isn't here to share that big expense with me! Have to eat breakfast by myself, too! That is one thing I really miss about being in Iowa – Sunday breakfast and paper with my sister.

After leaving WalMart I dropped mail at the post office, let Li'lBit sniff and water the grass at the park, took the trash to the dumpster and then came home ready to be lazy for the rest of the day. This retirement is so damned exciting, not sure just how much of it I can take!

Since it is March and a month for the Irish, I put some lamb shanks in the crock pot over night. Added carrots and potatoes in the morning and tossed in some frozen peas prior to eating.

Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday were in the 60 degree range and really, dreary and foggy in the morning. The sun did come out to save the day. The dehumidifier was going full-speed! Big project for Tuesday was dump kitty litter! How's that for a full-day workload!

Ended up running back into town on Tuesday - forgot to get bread -- remembered the lunch meat! Of course, I could bake a loaf or two but I'd just eat the whole thing with butter while it was warm!

Extended my stay here since the weather is so nice! FINALLY! I'm now paid up until April 14 so I'll head back to Gatesville on the 15th.

Weatherman promised it would get into the 70s all week! AND be nice for the weekend, too. I think the nice weather was waiting for Deryl & Elke to leave town. If I'd known the nice weather was just waiting for them to get out of town, I'd have kicked them out sooner! Actually, I’m glad I’m staying later so I’ll still be here when they return from their vacation.

Met with Steve and Judy at the Red Diner for lunch. I’ve been emailing with them for some time. They are fulltimers and staying at an RV park south of Rockport. We just haven’t managed to get together before this. Judy also has respiratory problems and between the two of us and this crazy weather, we just didn’t ‘get it together’ to get together. It was a fun visit. They leave the 20th of this month, headed to Indiana to visit family, so I’m glad we finally had a chance to meet.

Stopped at the fish market for some shrimp. Fog was really blowing in along the coastline. Couldn’t see any distance out into the gulf. It was really haunting. I had to pull over in the parking lot and just imagine the sea monsters that must be lurking under that water and behind that foggy veil.

Saurkraut, butter beans and brats steaming in beer were waiting iin the crock pot when I got home so the shrimp had to wait.

Thursday was another 65 degrees -- foggy -- no breeze (if we had one it might blow the fog away!) Dense fog warnings until 10AM - should have stayed in bed!!! Dew point is 64 degrees so I guess that just about tells the whole story! On mornings like that I keep the windows closed, the dehumidifier going, grab a good book and make another pot of coffee!

I have to think of some sort of 'tool' I can make or buy for turning the vent fan in the kitchen on and off. I'm too short and the ceiling is too tall -- one of those things I didn't think of when I bought this RV. I have to get out the step ladder so I can get up and turn it on and off. I've read the directions, trying to figure out if there is way I can control it from the thermostat, but haven't figured that out yet. GEEZ! I wish they wrote instructions for technically incompetent people! There has to be a long handled something that I can make/buy. I have one of those 'grabbers' with the long handle, and it works for the toggle switch but not for the knob.

Li’lBit and I spend most of the afternoons out enjoying the sun. I bought 2 hanging baskets of pink periwinkle. They hang from the holes in my 5th wheel hitch… looks kinda 'springy'!

By mid afternoon we Thursday the thermometer hit 82 degrees...no breeze....sun's out! WHEW! Summer got here all at once! Gotta love this weather!

Thursday evening I boiled the shrimp in the shell and steamed crab legs! YUMMY! That was it -- a small salad - ate the salad standing at the stove boiling and steaming! Then pigged out of crab legs and shrimp! Still have some shrimp left – will go great in jambalaya or fried rice later.

What happened to summer? Friday morning it was...BRRR...52 degrees and windy -- felt COLD!! Sun was out so it ended up being a nice day but only made it into the mid-60s. Oh, well, can't be in paradise EVERY day!

Friday I had lunch with Roberta, Jim, and Dan again. The Lunch Bunch met at the Vietnamese restaurant here in town. Normally Thai and Vietnamese food is too spicy for me – but my grilled garlic shrimp was just right.

Love this weather! I guess between now and the end of March, many of the RVers head back north. Many of the Winter Texans here in the park come out of Minnesota and Michigan.

Some folks went by the beaches today -- and came back! They said you couldn't find a vacant spot on the beach between here and south of Corpus. The beaches were PACKED with kids on spring break! Oh, how exciting! Young healthy bodies in bikinis, booze and volleyball!

Daylight saving time this weekend. I wish they would leave my clock alone! Oh, what do I care! I’m not punching a time clock, don’t have to be anywhere and any special time. Come to think of it, I really don’t even care what day of the week it is! Life is good!

No comments: