Saturday, March 6, 2010

The March into March - Mar 1-6

Woke up to 55 degrees the first of March. It may get to the lower 70s before the day ends and the rains come. The winds are gusting to 35. I can do without the winds!

Stopped by the office to pay my electric bill. It was $59.92 Sure has been consistent! My package from King Arthur Flour was in. I ordered fiori di sicilia flavoring. I have a recipe that sounds really good, so I had to try the flavoring! Now I hope I can remember where I put the recipe!

Just call me Turbo Tax Timmy Geitner (or whatever his name is!) I finished my taxes. I'm getting money back and my risk for audit is Very Low -- like way down the bottom of the scale! Guess there isn't much that can go wrong when you don't have anything to itemize

Tinga is being an obnoxious bitchy bird! She started the minute I came in from being outside with Li'lBit and she has been bitching me out ever since! GEEZ! Wonder how I can send a bird to the corner for a 'time out'!

Need to make room for another holiday. Holi is the springtime Festival of Colors, that commemorates the triumph of good over evil in Hindu mythology. Holi began Feb. 28, and is celebrated for 2 days. Guess I’m going to have to find some good Indian recipes to help me celebrate this day of unity and bringing people together! And what can bring folks together faster than food!

Speaking of food and friends - went to Pepitos with Deryl & Elke. I always leave with my belly is full. I had a combination plate with an enchilada, a taco, beans, rice, tostada and something else! I ate the taco, the beans and rice and brought the rest home in a doggie bag.

MARCH 2 Happy Texas Independence Day! 46 degrees and 10-15 mph winds without any real gusts.

Lunch Bunch, Dan, Jim, Roberta and I had our get-together today. Cute little soup and sandwich shop. I had the grilled Reuben sandwich -- came with a fancy little side of sliced fruit and potato salad. In the process of wandering about the Rockport Heritage area, I found a used book store! OOPS! Can’t get out of a book store without at least one book!


I’ve never been a Dr Seuss enthusiast, but March 2 is his birthday. Never did quite understand what the attraction was. OH, Well! Happy Birthday Doc! My sister had quite a day planned at her school.

Too chilly to set outside even tho the sun is out, 54 degrees and breezy. I'm sure getting spoiled and demanding about my weather! I know what 'perfect' weather is and I’m not-so-patiently waiting for it!

Heard on the weather last night that the record HI for March 3 was 90 degrees! We didn't make it, but it was a nice day -- kinda breezy and only 56 degrees but it feels a little warmer -- enjoyed Li'lBit and my ice tea outside for awhile. The sun felt good but the wind started picking up -- brushed Li'lBit and we took a short walk and back inside -- call me The Hermit!

Sarah and Bill left this AM -- they are a couple out of the Midland TX area that I run into at the Gatesville RV park frequently. They are headed to the valley for about a month. The weather here wasn't really good enough for us to spend much time together.

Emailed Mary at Shady Oaks with tentative dates for summer in Iowa. Looks like my arrival date in Iowa will be Wednesday May 26. I'll leave anytime after Labor Day (preferably after about mid September until mid October).


Did I get a surprise in the mail. Brenda’s (my personal mail-lady!) Mom quilted me a special lap blanket. What a surprise! It’s one of those ‘too nice to use’ items, but I’ll sure enjoy it these chilly nights when I’m in the recliner reading.

While in town, I stopped by Castaways just to see if they had anything I couldn't live without -- and I found the prettiest little china tea cup and saucer. Now I can have my tea in a real tea cup.....watch ....I'll probably break it the first time I move! Oh, well, it only cost me $1.50

Then Li'lBit and I stopped at the park so she could sniff and water the grass. I’m still leary about taking her to the beach because of her itching. We don’t have that under control yet.

Why can't my tanks run out in daylight or in dry weather or when it is warm.....it is always, cold, wet or dark when I have to run out and switch! Good thing I’ve had so much practice I can do it in the dark.

March 4 and almost 60 degrees and it is before 8AM! Sunny – some wind, at least they aren't gusting and blowing everything away. Li’lBit and I enjoyed the outside until the winds did pick up.

Using up the last of my crawfish, I made another pan of crawfish fried rice. I have never been a crawfish person 'cuz I hated to mess with cleaning them. But I can buy the tails already cleaned and ready to go here at the fish market. Also bought some crab legs -- they had a good price on them, so had some REAL crab instead of the imitation crab I normally use. Of course my house will smell like boiled crabs and crawfish for a couple of days.

March 5 brought 60 degrees, cloudy, 86% humidity - heavy air day! Dehumidifier kicked on early.

Propane guy came early on Friday. I had my tank out front but didn't have a check on it; he always comes in the afternoon. I was up in the bedroom doing some hand laundry when I heard the truck. Tinga was out so it was a tricky exit and entrance to get out and back in without her going out the door. I thought I was smart by closing the sliding door between downstairs and upstairs since she was in the bedroom with me. But when I came in, Li'lBit had pushed the door open to get out and there was Tinga! OOPS! Didn’t know I could move so fast to get in and get the door closed!

MARCH 6 SATURDAY
A sunny day in the 60s! YIPPEE -- supposed to have rain tomorrow, then in the 70s for the rest of the week - now THIS is why I come to Rockport for the winter!

2 comments:

csr said...

Use the Fiori Di Sicilia in any recipe that calls for vanilla (where you think a kick of citrus may be good!). I use it in yellow or white cake mixes to give a great what-is-that? flavor. Irene @ KAF

BillyMax said...

Thanks Irene! I'll give it a try -- can't find my recipe -- it was for a coffee cake, I think!