Saturday, July 18, 2009

A Day in Pella, Part 3

This is absolutely unbelievable! It is July 18 and I have the space heater going! It was 51 degrees when I woke up this AM. It's made it up to 63 degrees by noon!

Yesterday was another 51 degree wake-up. Bea and I had scheduled our trip to Pella. I thought it would warm up while I were gone but took a jacket "just in case." We arrived in Pella in time for lunch. Stopped in at the Windmill Cafe for sandwiches and a delightful 'sampler plate" with some delicious breaded cauliflower, potato skins, cheese stick and onion rings -- all in a wonderful batter and deep fried! So much for the 'healthy veggie plate!!" I must say we definitely picked the wrong time to go for lunch in a narrow restaurant with wood floors and a low ceiling. There was a family reunion in town and they decided it was lunch time, too! My they were having a really good time....a little on the LOUD side but full of fun with the laughing, screetching and giggles!

Then off to do some 'tourist' stuff -- the bakery, the meat market, watched the Klokkenspel presentation, wandered in and out of the shoppes along the street and the square. Thank heavens for the benches provided! As we were leaving Pella, the winds were picking up out of the north, the sky was getting grey -- I was waiting for the snow to fly!

It was just a dreary kind of day I would expect in October or November -- but certainly NOT in the middle of July!

No comments: