Thursday, July 30, 2009

Maid Rites - Iowa's Loose Meat Sandwich

Another exciting day in Retirementville! Went into town this AM to do some laundry—Oh, how I love that little laundromat – quiet, clean, a place to set and read while the laundry is washing and drying.

Got a late start today. It was about noon as I was loading up to head back home – so stopped at Taylor’s Maid Rite for a sandwich to go. For those of you not familiar with Iowa Maid Rites, they are loose meat sandwiches – no, Rosanne Barr did not invent loose meat sandwiches on the Rosanne Show!!

http://www.maidrite.com Walking into Taylor’s is walking back in time – there are no tables or booths….just a horseshoe shaped counter with stools, close enough together you literally rub shoulders with the folks on either side! You can watch the entire cooking, preparing, and serving operation in the center space. Malted milks are still served to you in the metal mixing container. No plates, a fork or spoon to eat the loose meat that drops out of the bun, served on the wrapping paper. The menu is slim – Maid Rites, chips, soft drinks or malteds. The sandwich is served with mustard, pickles and chopped onions. And, sin of all sins – after 70 years ketchup is now available on the counter – uncouth folks no longer have to sneak it in with them!

When I got home, I decided to put my Maid-Rite in a bowl so I didn’t loose the loose meat droppings all over my table – and along comes Tinga – she decided loose meat sandwiches are right up her alley! She just made herself right at home on the edge of the bowl and took her share -- actually, she too MORE than her share....she chomped off a huge piece of bun and flew off to her cage with it -- not quite sure how she could fly with something that big hanging from her beak. I just couldn't get to the camera in time.

Li'lBit is now enjoying what was left in the bowl.....so much for my lunch!

Now to the chores of the day -- steeping some hot tea -- much to chilly for ice tea. It's 2PM and only 70 degrees! Many months ago a dear friend turned me on to Adagio Teas and I'm just going crazy trying them all! http://www.adagio.com/

And, time to grind some more coffee - oh, how I love the smell of freshly ground coffee!

No comments: