Monday, October 17, 2011

Li'lBit Takes Up My Week! Oct 9-15

OCT 9 SUNDAY Li'lBit had been acting sick for a couple of days; really listless, didn't want to go outside. Drinking lots of water, not peeing much considering the amount of water she was taking in, very little poop and then bordering on diarrhea. She was some better on Sunday - at least I got a tail wag! But a trip to the vet was in order for Monday.

7:30 AM 80 degrees with 80% humidity. We had some rain (not much)thru the nite - thunder and lightning - still thundering off over the gulf. Typical Sunday morning – first to church, then to the laundry!

Temp dropped into the 70s when the 15-20 mph winds blew in later in the afternoon. Have the windows and door open and the vent fan going! Pouring rain, thunder, lightning – ended up shutting down the computer!

9 of us showed up for ice cream Sunday evening.

Monday -Li'l Bit went outside, peed, pooped (and it looked normal) -- wagged her tail, moves a little 'quicker' but we headed off to the vet. (Can you tell I’m a nurse – these body functions are really important!)

A little humid, 71 degrees but a nice breeze. Red tide warning -- for you that don't live on the coast -- that can cause respiratory problems!! Cancelled any plans I had to go wading in the gulf!

Off to the vet in the AM, lab tests – Li'lBit had surgery that afternoon -- massive uterine infection with tumors. At least, best they can tell, it is all contained in the uterus. The vet said she was hoping, if all went OK, to send her home. She felt, since she is blind, it would be less stressful for her 'in her own bed!" Then she added, 'and since you are a nurse....." It was the hardest thing I've done in a long time - leave my Li'lBit at the vet, a strange vet, not Dr Clay in Gatesville!

Do I need to say, waiting for that call from the vet was all I could accomplish Monday! At 4PM, the clinic called - they had a 'sweet little girl ready to go home!" Vet said appears everything was within the uterus....no exterior tumors or infection!!!

When she got home she was a little wobbly and disoriented, couldn’t find the water bowl or food dish, but she was HOME! 5 days of antibiotics and stitches out in 10 days.

Tuesday I had a morning appointment with Sharon to get my nails done – not having the acrylics this time – my nails definitely need a rest! She is just going to try to 'toughen' up what I have - they are cracking, peeling - just icky - so I don't want to go back to glue and plastic for awhile!

Donna called and wanted to meet for lunch at the Chinese buffet.....off I went. I had already made plants to have a late lunch with Kathy and the gang! WHEW! Food, Food, Food. They have a really great “all you can eat” senior special on Tuesday at The Big Fisherman so a box to go was in order! $2.50 - all you can eat chicken fried steak, fried chicken livers or gizzards. Add a $1.00 ice tea and it makes a cheap meal! Ate the cole slaw and drank the ice tea while I was there. The rest came home in a box for supper. When the Winter Texans get back there will be a line around the building every Tuesday just to get the special. I do not go then!

Raining Thursday AM - started last nite. 76 degrees. Fixed meatballs in sauce and some noodles for the pot luck (Friendship) supper. I'm just a social butterfly with these ol'folks activities.

Li'lBit is improving each day; she finally pooped! Actually, I was starting to worry that she hadn't and had planned on calling the vet if she didn't go today!

Got a call from the RV Service place - trailer is done. I can store it at the RV place for $40/month....I'll do that until Thanksgiving, then bring it back to here after my trip to Gatesville. Total bill is less than $900. I know that's a lot but with the wheel and all, I was expecting more than that.

Between the trailer and Li’lBit’s surgery, the poor savings account took a hit this week!

Li'lBit was a little better every day. She was even setting at her bowl waiting to be fed when I got up Friday AM! 78 degrees, nice breeze....outside with Li'lBit, my book and ice tea most of the day!

Saturday I went to pay for my trailer and arrange to store it there until I head to Gatesville for Thanksgiving. Can’t wait for the trip back to Gatesville – see if I can get there and get BACK without blowing a wheel or some other significant detail this time!

1 comment:

Debbie B. said...

What vet did Li'l Bit go to? I'm keeping a database for myself of vets around the country. We started f/t with 2 dogs and a parrot.
Would prefer to go to vets that others have had good experience with.