Monday, October 31, 2011

October Comes to an End

Sunday, Oct 23 I'll be glad when SUMMER heat finally leaves Texas! We had a couple of days in the 70s and then back up in the upper 80s and 90s! I’m ready for cooler weather.

Lowe's delivered the 9.6 cubic foot fridge/freezer that fits into the space. Can’t believe they delivered on a Sunday morning. Monday would be the day I get a working refrigerator back!

The printer is still working so I guess I got it downloaded OK. Only expense left before I head to Gatesville for Thanksgiving is the truck wheels and brakes. WHEW!

Saturday it was either fall on my butt or step on Li'lBit while going down the steps! After I fell, I went over and did laundry and walked to the office building for my mail, thought I could 'walk it off' – guess it didn't work! I'm OK -- just another one of my fat lady stumbles!

Monday 24th Off to a late start - had one of those nites - wide awake at 2 AM and couldn't get back to sleep – can you say back pain and stiff!

Refrigerator installation day! Stuff out of the refrig and picked up from the floor so they can get one out and the other one in! It's in - it's cooling and I didn't have to loose my shelf above the refrig! Now to get the stuff put away.

Everything in the freezer was thawed - still cold but thawed. None of it smelled sour or spoiled but it is all thawed. I cooked up all of the meat and put it back in the freezer cooked. At least I wouldn't loose it that way and since it's been thawed (for who knows how long!) I don't want to re-freeze it. All I lost was 1/2 pound in shell fresh shrimp; pint of oysters and 2 pork chops (but they weren't Iowa chops so no big loss there!) Not bad, huh!!

Definitely NOT going to like the black fridge!! Already have fingerprints all over it!

Tuesday the frig was still working and the thermometer said it's 40 degrees! The manual said it would take about 24 hours to reach 38-40 degrees so I guess it is doing its job! So glad to have one more 'stumbling block' and bill out of the way! Wonder what I’ll do with my time now that I'm not making and bagging ice all day!

Hair and nail appointment with Sharon, stopped by post office and Wal-Mart.
Feels so good to have a GOOD hair cut and my nails done - still no acrylics -- Sharon is just 'babying' my real nails. I think I like the hand and arm massage most of all - sure does work out the arthritis in the knuckles!

Must have spilled some meat juice somewhere. I can smell a 'rotten meat' smell. Have no idea where it is; isn't in the fridge. Maybe it leaked down from the old fridge and is back under the refrigerator space. Guess I might have to live with it and a can of Lysol spray until it stops smelling. Sure is giving me the sneezes!

Wednesday hip and leg started acting up again and I just decided to stay close to home, bed, and the heating pad. I couldn’t move; too much activity on Tuesday, I guess. Missed lunch with Donna, didn’t get the truck in for the wheels/tires. Oh, well, There’s Always Tomorrow!

I think my freezer freezes cold enough that I can keep a small container of ice cream in there! YIPPEE! The ammonia freezer doesn't freeze solid enough for ice cream.

Managed to get out of bed Thursday, take Li'lBit out and I could still move so took the truck in. Stopped at the gas station and picked up a breakfast taco and coffee to go. I was prepared for a lengthy stay at the tire place – breakfast, coffee and my book! 9:20AM and I was home -- already 80 degrees! WHEW! Thank heavens the cold front is coming thru sometime that evening!

Nothing wrong with my brakes or tires. They rotated the tires and told me to have the brakes checked again in the spring before I head north. There is some sign of wear, but not enough to change them now. $25 and I was outta there! My savings account liked THAT bill!

Stopped at the grocery and got some stuff for salads - hadn't been keeping that kind of stuff without the refrig…and picked up some ice cream. So much for my blood sugar!

Put on a pot of my "let it cook forever in the crock pot" soup -- weather man said a cold front's a-comin'! The soup is just one of those can of tomatoes, can of green beans, can of beef broth, chopped onions, carrots, celery, green peppers - whatever veggies I have in the fridge. Seasoned with a pack of Liptons dry vegetable soup mix (or onion soup mix!) Can cook forever in the crock pot and taste better each time! Sometimes I make it with V-8 juice instead of the beef broth -- or sometimes 1/2 and 1/2 or sometimes chicken broth -- whatever I have handy. And now that my freezer is working, I can freeze some of it in baggies and I won't have to be eating it for a whole week! And, since there isn't any meat in it - I can add a few frozen meat balls or left over chicken or whatever -- good soup!

Halloween came early here! My sister always remembers a card and a gift! You know the kids and I enjoy it!

Friday 28th Brrrr...what a difference a day makes. 90+ degrees by yesterday afternoon and wake up to 57 degrees and 25 mph winds from the north! Heard the winds pick up last nite - closed the windows in the bedroom, but didn't get up to close those down stairs. They are closed now! Li'lBit went down the stairs to go outside, sniffed the air and turned around, came back in and peed and pooped on her papers! DAMN! Have no idea who spoiled that dog! Must have been her Aunt Bea!

I did go out to see if any of my plants had tipped over or blown away, but they are fine and I’m sure my mums will be much happier in this weather than what we have been having!

Saturday was another chilly morning! 52 degrees but not as windy at Friday. Immediately put a pot of squash stew on in the crock pot. Enjoyed the cooler weather AND the soup! I love soup and I love crock pots and the two just go so well together!

Sunday and Church are special here at the RV park. Still fighting the leg/hip pain so didn’t run over and do the laundry. A little hand washing will carry me through. And, besides, that's what showers are for, right - a place to hang your laundry!

Monday the 31st Happy Halloween. Found some good buys on ham hocks, fresh chicken breasts and turkey legs at the grocery – It’s Soup Time!