Sunday, October 23, 2011

Oct 16-22: The Black Cloud Continues – or – The Case of the Disappearing Savings Account

Sunday Oct 16 started with 79 degrees and kinda sticky. Li'lBit is driving me nutz with her in and out! I guess she is feeling better. Church and WallyWorld on the typical Sunday schedule. As usual, the social event Sunday evening is the Ice Cream Social even if the crowds are kinda skimpy. I think there were 8 folks there! More “Winter Texans” are arriving nearly every day.

So glad to have Li'lBit's emergency surgery and the repairs on the trailer behind me, Monday I rode into Corpus Christi with Donna in case she needed a “designated driver” after her eye appointment. The trip was fine – but I sure don't like driving her little car! I can’t remember the last time I drove a CAR! Give me my TRUCK! We stopped at Whataburger for lunch!

Came home to find out I was out of propane - totally out. I filled a tank before I left for Iowa. Maybe I didn't get one connected just right and it leaked out or something! No one was here to use propane while I was gone. Normally I don't leave both tanks open, but I did before I left for Iowa in case of power failure since I did leave my refrig on low; didn’t want to come home to a moldy/smelly fridge! So Monday night was microwave nite! No problem!

Went to empty my sewer tank - wouldn't empty - not sure why - hopefully it isn't plugged - it emptied fine about 2 weeks ago. But then, I noticed that my sewer hose had rotted and cracked (probably from the sun) so it was a good thing it didn't empty! Took the hose from the trailer to replace it. I'm going to have to watch my black tank and see if I just didn't get the gate completely closed and it ran free (which often leads to a real mess as the solids pile up into the black pyramid of death!) If it hasn't been draining all along, it won't be a week before I’ll know it; it will start backing up! Oh, the joys of RVing!

Tuesday AM I found my refrig wasn’t cooling! DAMN! I put a couple of plastic cups I use to make ice for my tea in to freeze -- they were still water in the AM! Maybe this will be my last disaster for awhile!

Cold front came in 72 degrees with 27 mph winds from the north. Didn’t get too much warmer through out the day.

I went to sign for 1 month rent for the trailer. That will keep it stored until I head to central TX for Thanksgiving. Then went out to fill the propane tank! Isn’t this just too much excitement!?

Wednesday greeted me with 60 degrees, 15 mph winds gusting to 25 - all coming from the north – didn’t need my A/C! I did open some of the windows, however, the door was left CLOSED! And I did a closet check for my ‘hoodies’ to make sure they were clean and ready to go for the winter....winter? Anything under 60 degrees usually brings out my 'hoodies!'

Met with Dan, Roberta, Jim and whoever else shows up for lunch at the Lunch Box. People that own it used to own Jama's (some GREAT cheese cake!) Basically, a soup, salad, sandwich, chip kinda place. Had a great lunch – good friends and good food – just doesn’t get better than that!

Refrig was working on propane. But that didn’t last long! At least I didn’t loose any food before the repair guy got here. They replaced the 'heating element' -- sounds strange to have a heating element in a refrig! He really wasn’t sure that was going to solve the problem completely, didn’t charge me for the part until he verified it was going to be working.

Well, damn! Can anything more go wrong? My computer installed the latest updates -and now my printer won't work! And, according to the HP website, my printer is not compatible with the new upgrade! What the hell else is going to have to come out of my savings account! I really don’t want to put out money for another copy/scanner/printer – but if I don’t, I know I’ll miss the one I have. Decided I’d pull a Scarlett O’Hara and “think about it tomorrow.’ Annie says, “The Sun Will Come Up Tomorrow!”

Thursday - 68 degrees! BRRRRRR....might need my hoodie!! Went into the 80s by afternoon. I guess summer isn’t finished with us yet. MY REFRIG IS STILL WORKING!!
Off to the vet – Li’lBit’s stitches are out - no charge (FINALLY -- something with No Charge!) of course, I think it was covered in the bill for surgery!

MY PRINTER IS WORKING –YIPPEE! Saved some $$ there! My mind set was NOT to put out any $$$ for a new printer so I just kept plugging away with the downloads available on line. Deleted all of my printer program stuff that was downloaded when I first got this computer, then went to one of the "free" websites and downloaded a HP printer program, again, and again, and again until it finally worked! I think I tried every HP free on line download before I finally got one to take.

AND, while I was waiting for the program to download, I fixed the light over my computer (under that cabinet.) It keeps falling loose. Finally stopped trying to put it back with the same screws - got some 'fatter' screws and greased them up with glue! Aren't you glad I'm not doing repairs on YOUR house!

Thursday morning a rare and record-breaking South Texas earthquake struck northwest of Beeville, about 60 miles northwest of Rockport. The 4.8 magnitude quake struck at 7:24 AM. The U.S. Geological Survey said it was the largest earthquake on record for the area. From 1990 to 2006, at least a dozen small quakes have hit this region. (And I was worried about hurricanes!)

Friday October 21. 77 degrees - kinda cloudy. This was the day that 90 yr old preacher Harold Camping said the world was coming to an end - of course he has been wrong a few times.

I think my black tank is OK. I went out this AM to see if anything emptied when I opened the gate - YUP! Not much - only three days worth of stuff, but it flowed OK. WHEW! Now I can't wait to empty it in another week or so! Doesn't take much to keep me happy! Evidentially I just hadn't closed the gate tight enough and it popped open enough to free-drain. Not good in the black tank! Just had to share my joyous news!

Guess what refrigerator wasn’t working again! I thought that heating element might be the deal. RV place opens at 9AM - I was on the phone! They were here shortly after lunch.

Well, since the world didn't come to an end, I'm going to have to suck it up for a new fridge. Ordered the small 9.6 cubic foot size they have at Lowes in Aransas Pass – within an hour, Lowe’s called to say the fridge would be delivered on Sunday. Hopefully the RV repair guy can get out Monday or Tuesday and pull out the old one and put in the new one. In the meantime, I'm eating out of a cooler! That is just about what my refrig is now, a cooler. Keep making ice (in my portable icemaker) to keep stuff as cold as I can.

I'm going to loose my cabinet above the fridge since the RV size electric is actually 1" taller than the space available after they take out the old one! Storage in an RV is at a premium and loosing some will call for some 'creative' rearranging.

Saturday, I woke up to a cloudy 77 degrees - kinda humid…and in pain! I had fallen down the steps of the RV taking Li’lBit out the evening before. Didn’t want to step on her so I took the plunge, head first into my truck (parked at the foot of the steps) and bounced back to land on my butt on the step! Oh, Agony!!! Thank heavens for Tiger Balm! Did manage to get to the laundry room and over to the office to pick up mail before I really got stiff. Continued making ice for the fridge to keep the food cold (or at least cool!) I’ll really be glad when this whole refrigerator mess is over!