Sunday, October 9, 2011

October is Here - Will Summer Ever End!

October starts with 77 degrees at 7 AM; a really nice breeze without too much humidity. Door and windows open and the A/C OFF (At least for awhile!)

Sunday evening, hitched up the trailer – ready to deliver on Monday. What a gathering we had down at the trailer. After ice cream social, everyone migrated to the trailer. Quite a gathering considering there are so few of us here. Ron and Mackie did most of the work. I managed to back it up all by myself with Ron and Mackie in charge of giving orders and directions. Connie, Jeannie and Chet supervised! With that much help, it sure didn't take long. Chet came over on the golf cart and gave me a ride back to my 5th wheel! No wonder I love this place so!

Had the trailer at the shop Monday AM before they were there to open the gates. John helped me unhitch, gave him the keys and the list of repairs needed and just hope I don't have to file bankruptcy to pay the bill!

Then stopped to pick up important things: milk, eggs, newspaper, garbage bags and dropped of my prescriptions! Spent the rest of the morning outside with Li'l Bit reading the paper and drinking coffee. Sure do lead a rough life!

LinCare came by to drop off a CPAP mask so I'll be getting my CPAP stuff from them now – Medicare Provides! In fact, they put me on an email list to remind me when I'm eligible for new equipment! How's that for being and "entitled senior!"

I broiled my last Iowa rib-eye. Had my last Iowa pork steak the night before. I have one more package of 2 small steaks and then I'm back to eating "Texan!" Of course, I have already stocked up on shrimp and fish!

It only got up to 78 on Tuesday. It’s nice to have the A/C off and fresh air coming in the windows.


Deryl & Elke left Wednesday for a cruise out of Florida so we went to HuDat’s Tuesday evening. Love HuDat’s! After we ate, went back to their place and Deryl loaded my “Vietnamese Chariot” into the back of my truck. He had straightened out the wheel and got it back into riding condition! Now I can learn to maneuver my trike! (The blue trike is what I ‘won” when I hit – fortunately no injuries – a young Vietnamese man headed to the gulf to do some fishing! To avoid a ticket and court appearance, I ‘bought’ the guy a new trike – so I got to keep the damaged one!)

Spent Wednesday outside with Li’lBit messing with my flowers. I babied them all summer in Iowa and had them looking so fresh and full. Then took them to Gatesville where the ‘hot and dry’ nearly sucked the life out of them. Now hoping I can 'baby' them back. I dumped about half of them, cleaned up and repotted the rest hoping for the best. I think the geraniums will recover, some of my herbs and my mint are in the trash! My shamrock plant and the aloe vera survived along with the chives....and those cute little pink flowers that I don't know what they are.

Stopped at the vegetable stand and picked up a small pumpkin, some gourds and Indian corn to set outside in front of the 5th wheel...that's the extent of decorations I do here. Oh, and I picked up a few potted mums.

Been going out after the sun goes down and it cools off a little to ride my chariot. Not too far, just down to the end of the street and back. That’s enough to start! I’m surprised it is so much easier to peddle than my exercycle. I was really surprised my knees weren’t killing me in the AM – did have some leg cramps the first couple of nites, though.

Not much setting outside with the temps still in the upper 80s and 90s, humidity hitting 80% and the sun beating down. As the week ends, I’m wondering if summer ever will! My calendar says it is fall, but that fall weather hasn’t gotten here yet!

No comments: