Sunday, December 20, 2009

Rockport TX - Week ONE

DAMN! This weather SUCKS! This is NOT the weather I come to Rockport for! Even Li'lBit doesn't want to do anything but go out, do her duty and run right back in! In fact, she would rather do her duty on her pee papers inside. She occasionally needs a boot in the butt to get her out the door.

I’m ever glad Rain called me and told me to come on in to the park on Monday rather than waiting until Tuesday. I would have been trying to get things done (or Sid would have been!) in all that chilly rain.

Definitely needed a small dehumidifier....toooooo much moisture on my windows. Found one larger than I had wanted at WalMart, but if this weather keeps up, I'll really be in moisture trouble. I don't think we had this much rain the previous years. Evidentially I create too much humidity. People always told me I was full of hot air, I guess they are right!

Spent the first week sorting and trying to get stuff put away. I need a bigger trashcan so I can get rid of some of this! It’s hard to believe I still toss out every time I pack up and unpack. You would think everything would be gone by now.

Do crock pots ever wear out? That was one of the first things I unpacked and plugged in. Started right off with a pot of chili.

Wednesday, December 2nd, BRRRRR.....42 degrees but the sun finally came out! Deryl & Elke called to say it was too cold to come for a visit AND.....THEY BLAMED ME FOR BRINGING THE COLD WEATHER! I just can't WIN!

I can complain all I want about the weather, but I’m NOT in Iowa with my sister! She under snow drifts! Thanks to her, I’m warm. A couple of years ago she sent me some ‘hoodies’ and I am putting them to good use this year! However, I’m definitely NOT used to seeing folks down here walking around outside with hooded parkas, mittens and scarves!

And I finally figured out how to program the TV with the cable! I’m technically dense.

Ruth came by to let me know there are a couple of guys around here that will work on RVs at really good prices. So, if something comes up after Sid and Rain leave, I’ll have someone to call without being taken to the cleaners. In the meantime, I put the final touches on my “Honey Do List” for Sid.

Holly has been puking since we got here, good thing I didn't get rid of the carpet cleaner! I actually think it is a change in the water. I'm going to start carrying bottled water and mixing 1/2 and 1/2 with the park water until she gets used to it and see if that makes any difference. Or, it could be that she is like me -- old and fat and the travel wears us down!

On thing about this crazy weather, by Thursday I had the bottom part of the pantry orgtanized...too damn wet and cold to do anything else. I'm sure that all of the cupboards and closets will be changed several time. Just can’t figure the most efficient way to store things. especially the pantry with it being so narrow and so deep.

There was still a musty odor under the sink and finally found a puddle of water on the shelf under there. Sid came over to take a look at it and found the drain fixture loose and leaking. Problem solved, but I kept the cabinet doors open for a few days and the space heater directed under the sink.

Plans were put into gear to get some sort of lunch/get-together going with Roberta and Dan, RVers I met here last year, and anyone else we can find. Will seem strange not to have Bobbie with us but imagine she is basking in the warmth of the southwest.

Walter came by with Ron to measure for my wooden steps. I can’t wait to get something more ‘sturdy’ and with less incline. What a treat that is going to be.

Thursday, 38 degrees and falling -- wind chill 28. Just had a weather alert for winter storm warning. What a bunch of crap! Guess I won't put my plants out on the picnic table right away.

Friday brought 44 degrees with a wind chill below 40 degrees -- 30% CHANCE OF SNOW FLURRIES -- DO YOU WANT ME TO REPEAT THAT!

I put on a pot of pizza soup and planned on staying inside.

I didn't know the propane people were coming until Tuesday. Missed them last Tuesday and had one empty tank. I still had 1/2 tank so figured I could make it until next Tuesday, but hadn't planned on freezing weather! I kicked the thermostate to 55 degrees and used the space heater I had under the sink to dry out the cabinet space as supplemental heat.

Then, I saw the propane truck next door, I ran outside in my hoodie - just about froze my @$$ off getting my empty cylindar unhooked and out to the drive! The propane guy was nice enough to load the tank back up on the rack while I went in and got the money and a warmer jacket.

While switching propane tanks the freezing rain/drizzle slowed and the snow started -- to those of us that have seen REAL snow -- 'Texas Snow" is sleet pellets in rain/drizzle! Kinda hard to believe I was raised in 'snow country" and I’m so whimpy about this weather. Sure glad I have the easy-on-easy-off hook-ups! $21 and my tank is full. Back in the house and cranked the thermostat up to 70 degrees!

By Saturday, I had most stuff put away and it was starting to look like home again. With the full tank of propane and the thermostate up to 70 degrees, I was starting to think about getting out my Christmas decorations and putting the big plastic tote boxes back in storage and starting to get back to normal -- whatever NORMAL is! At least I'll have stuff done and can get busy being 'social'!

No comments: