Sunday, December 20, 2009

Week Two - Oh, the Weather!

My second week, Monday in Texas, 54 degrees and dreary, rain showers on and off all day. This is NOT why I come to Rockport! This is more crappy weather so far this year (and I"ve been here a week!!) than other years for the whole time I've been here! Hope the entire winter isn't going to be like this!! I have a hard time breathing in this heavy wet air. I'm sure Sid & Rain are wondering why I come here!!!

AND -- I notice more and more problems with the arthritis - but maybe because of the steps and getting up and down on the ladder. The cupboards and pantry are so high, I have a two-step ladder I have to use all of the time! In fact, I need a step stool to see in my microwave. This RV is certainly higher than my other one!

Soaked some split peas overnite and in morning I put them in the crock pot with a smoked ham shank some baby carrots and potatoes. So it's split pea soup for a couple of days for me. When I make soup in the crock pot, I have enough to eat on for a few days! I think, I'm not sure, but I THINK I have figured out the cabinet space. Now to figure out how to work with such a small bit of counter space.

Deryl & Elke came by for a visit, picked up my laptop and took it to their son, Robert, for repair. That new laptop has been a lot of trouble! Congratulations to them on the birth of their First Greatest Grandest Baby! What a Christmas this will be for them.

Started putting up the Christmas decorations. Of course, all of my hooks for the garland are in the old RV! And of course, the windows are different here and I don't have enough garland so I’m still having to rethink what I’m going to do with it. Put the tree on the dining table. I only eat in one space and I was afraid if I put it on the table by Tinga's cage she might eat it and there isn't enough space for it between the two recliners.

Picked up a couple $3.00 poinsettias for the front of the RV. It was a little too nippy to leave them out so they are hiding under the RV with the rest of my plants. I've finished the wreath for the hitch....just an “everlasting" green wreath that I glued some Christmas bows to an added some red baubles. YUP, it looks like something I made! But it is 'festive!'

Wednesday the sun was out and temp ran up to 65 degrees! Sid came by and ran through my “Honey Do” list in no time at all. We went to the Boiling Pot that evening and had boiled shrimp, sausage, crab, etc – just generally good boiled seafood. Butcher paper is spread on the table and when they bring your food, the just dump it on the paper. And Rain and I finished the meal off with a Key Lime Tart. http://the-boiling-pot.com/

Didn't get organized in time to do the baking for the cookie exchange they have here.

The weather really got me down. Didn’t seem to "adjust" to the pollens and get in the swing of things. Usually takes me a couple of days to acclimate every time I move (and catch up on sleep, etc). But the weather slowed that down some! Just now starting to feel human again! Started getting some really good sleep and that even makes the weather easier to handle!

Ran my errands on Thursday. Stopped at WalMart for some odds & ends of stuff I needed, (there is always something I need every time I move!) Then to ACE Hardware for the sandy 'traction' strips for my steps. Oh, do I like my steps!

Switched to my other propane tank, will refill when they deliver on Friday, That will give me two full tanks so bring on the winter, Let it Snow, Let Snow, Let it Snow! I can handle it! Went on line to pay bills for the month before I get carried away with holidays and forget. It sure is easy to do them on line but I sure hate just the idea/thought of paying bills. Emptied the black water tank.....so now I think my odds and ends of jobs are done for today! Sure is an exciting life in the RV, huh?

Friday brought 49 degrees with 22 mph winds gusting to 40 -- under a 'coastal flood warning' -- I might as well have stayed up north! Weatherman says the 'pineapple express' is pulling all the moisture in from the Pacific across Mexico and up thru TX. Might as well be a "blue Norther' coming in from the pan handle -- they are both miserable weather! Blame it on El Nino! Another great day for switching propane tanks! Life is Good!

No comments: