Friday, August 1, 2008

Heading North - May 19-21, 2008

Up bright and early May 19 -- pulled out of "Camp Wally World" for my appointment at Gatesville Tire. They were ready. New tires all around on the RV -- I'm ready to go -- headed north before noon. A decent start time since I wanted to get through Oklahoma City before rush hour. I hate the way I-35 turns north through town -- seems like they could straighten that or at least make it easier to cut across several lanes of traffic in such a short distance! I probably fretted about that more than I needed to!


Through OK City -- No Sweat! Arrived at the Guthrie OK "Camp Wally World" late afternoon. To the service desk to get permission to park for the nite - picked up odds and ends for supper and breakfast -- WalMart always makes a few pennies off of my overnights! Fed and watered the traveling circus and hit the sack! Not much to do cramped up when the slide is in and on the 12 V batteries. Computer batteries are only good for 2 hours and I save the Power-Pals for the C-PAP -- still not sure exactly how long they will last. I do enjoy several old radio shows I have on CDs -- but other than picking up a local news station to keep up with the weather forecasts, there isn't much to do when spending the nite at Wally World! It isn't like I can get Holly and Li'l Bit in a rousing game of poker or something!

Space is cramped with the slide in -- but I'm sure that would improve if I toss out some more of this stuff! The water pump worked just fine, the fridge switched to propane and held everything frozen or cold.

Pulled out of Guthrie shortly after sunrise. Things are lookin' good! No problems with the first leg -- looking forward to the rest of the trip. After pulling onto the Interstate, I thought the truck was sounding "a little loud." When I stopped for fuel, I mentioned it to the trucker next to me....he laughed and said, "Ma'am, diesels are loud!" But as he listened he thought I might have a little extra 'knocking' and suggested I get it checked when I got where I was going. I thanked him and pulled back onto the Interstate.

Stopped at several rest areas along the way so LI'l Bit could water the grass! Gave me time to check the critters in the RV. I keep a thermometer in there so I can watch the ups and downs of the temps and all is well. The birds act as if the swing and sway is OK with them...usually singing or chattering when I open the door. Holly just takes to her hiding space beside the bed and waits unil the thing stops! Li'l Bit shallows out her sleeping place in the middle of the bed!
Made Cameron, MO at a reasonable hour. Watched the mileage on the truck and didn't notice any loss of milage with the 'knocking.' Again - get permission to spend the nite at WalMart, pick up a few things to munch on and shut myself in for the night.
Much more relaxed now knowing how the Power-Pals are going to work and provide sufficient power thru the night. The batteries in the battery-operated fan and in the radio are holding up much better than I thought. The Power-Pals are recharging completely from the truck's cigarette lighter in just a few hours. WHOOPPEE!! Knowing this makes me one Happy Camper!

The last leg of the trip - the shortest leg -- Cameron MO to Marshalltown IA. If I take my time, I can still be there by mid-afternoon. I sure do appreciate the WiFi hotspots at the Iowa Rest areas! Finally had a chance to download my emails. And those RV decals over the gas station logo signs are a big help when looking for a fuel stop!

I planned on taking 235 around Des Moines (afterall, I had sent my sister out for a test drive and to get me exit numbers) but I missed the exit so stayed on I-35/I-80. Wasn't as much of a problem as I thought -- I didn't hit it during rush hour! Called my sister -- let her know of my progress -- she would meet me at the intersection of the "Diagonal" (Hwy 65) and Hwy 30. I would follow her to the RV Park.
There she was! What a sight for 'tired eyes' - or, in my case, one tired eye! She pulled in front of me and off to Shady Oaks RV park we go. Her friends, Ben and Pat, were there to back me in and help me set up. So here I am in Iowa for the summer -- arrived tired and happy -- these 3 days on the road for an ol' fat lady hadn't been so bad!

No comments: