Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Iowa in August 2008, Part I

The truck has been in the shop since June 7 -- they finally brought me a loaner 7/31. I figure someone said or did something since the owner of the place delivered it to the RV park and spent some time explaining to me what all the delay has been. Seems Cummins Diesel folks are quite "picky" when it comes to getting warranty work completed. As he said, "They pretty much demand perfection." (Sounds good to me!) They couldn't get he compression right so Cummins is shipping a new head! WHEW -- Glad I'm not footing the bill.

My loaner is a Dodge mini-van -- I feel like a "soccer mom" driving the thing around! One of those vehicles with no front end. After driving my truck, not having much sticking out in the front drives me nuts! But, I'm not complaining -- at least I have something to drive!

Li'l Bit and I spent a couple of days in bed. My meds occasionally cause some problems. And the best place for me is to be in bed -- or close to it -- I tend to fall alot when that happens. I do get a lot of reading done! And what did we do before computers and laptops!

The RV park is full. There are several in for a family reunion and the guys working on the repair projects since the spring storms are still here. Different groups of workers come and go but they are still working.

Summer finally hit Iowa -- it is HOT - not Texas Hot -- but Iowa Hot and Humid. Good for corn and tomatoes! It was 72 degrees when I got up at 7:30AM. Too Hot! Supposed to be this way until about the middle of the week. Of course the Iowa State Fair starts this week and fair week is supposed to be HOT HOT HOT! Heat index is to be about 105 degrees. I've been using the air conditioning for the last couple of days. And tomorrow is to be hotter. At least they are having some storms up north of us so we do have some cloud cover.

After all the rain we have had this spring, I had to go water my plants and while I was out, feed the birds. Took forever to clean the hummingbird feeder -- I think every ant in the state of Iowa found it! The bottle was just yukky! With this heat, Li'l Bit and I don't spend as much time outside.

Had pizza buffet with my sister and some of her friends. Ate way too much -- always do at buffets. They had a nice salad bar, fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, green beans - just too much good food. Now I'll be miserable all night! Will have to remember as I'm tossing and turning tonite that I did this to myself! Why did I listen so well when my mother reminded me "clean your plate." And why do I still hear my father telling me "eat everything, there are starving children in China...."

On the 4th, Li'l Bit and I crawled out of bed at 5:30 AM -- not sure what woke me up but let Li'l Bit out to 'water the grass' then decided to stay up. Holly and li'l Bit have been fed. The birds got peanut butter on corn meal pancakes to keep them quiet until I get around to feeding and cleaning cages. Gotta get the kitty litter out today. It is a lot more noticable when the windows are closed. It's really rough trying to maintain a zoo in 32 feet of RV! So this is a typical morning, except for the 5:30 AM part!

The weekend is over and the folks next door are moving out. Reminds me of life in military housing -- looking out the window every morning to see where the moving van is -- here, you look for who is hitching up!

Oh, I heard from the realtor on the house. They are just about ready to put it back on the market. I don't think I will go back to see it when I get to Texas -- that part of my life is over.

By August 7th, the allergies are BAD!! I thought it was going to be a 'good air' day until I took Li'l Bit out and came right back in! But, I REFUSE to close up and use the air conditioning when the temps are good. After I load up with allergy meds and inhalers, Li'l Bit and I will be outside a lot to catch up on what we have missed the last few days because of the heat. Time to tend to the 'garden' again!

Back to spending time outside and Mary, the owner, stopped by for a chat -- she had several visitors to the Treehouse this AM and some more this afternoon. I'm really amazed at the amount of people she takes through on tours. There are families or groups here morning and afternoon on most days.

Fox News was here the other day and did a spot on the Treehouse on the news -- I missed it. Don't always get many stations here on the antenna.

Nothing much going on -- just outside, outside, outside. Really need to water plants again! Maybe I'll hear something on the truck this week. I was hoping to get the truck back and taking a road trip to Maquoketa IA - my hometown - having lunch or a nice visit with Rita -- but don't know if I'll be doing that -- will just depend on the truck.

No comments: