Thursday, August 14, 2008

Iowa In June 2008, Part III

UNBELIEVABLE -- The weather radio tower has drown! On June 11th, I get this informational note from the National Weather Service:
The Marshall County/Marshalltown National Weather Service Radio transmitter tower is out of service due to the water being over the building in Marshalltown near the Alliant station. YOU MUST reprogram your radios to either the Des Moines NWS NOAA radio frequenty or the Montezuma radio frequency.

June 12th was anoher rockin' and rollin' night. I was a little more worried than other nights since the transmission tower for he weather radio in Marshalltown isn't functioning. I didn't have the security of knowing the radio would go off and warn me! Still going to bed dressed in shorts and a t-shirt and my little "get the hell out" bag next to my bed.

In the morning, the water from the creek was back up into the park.
To the right is the side of the old lodge (white building) and my "go to" spot for bad weather.
The beige building is one of the 'tourist' cabins from the days of the Lincoln Highway when this was a cabin and campground. The cabin is being renovated.
You can see the water from the creek coming up beind the buildings. My RV is located just across the driveway from these buildings.
I'm turning green with moss, grey with mold and I smell like a slim-covered backwater!
Even Li'l Bit doesn't want to go out. A new hobby is watching the flood reports along with the Doppler Radar. The media is doing a terrific job of keeping people informed on flood stages, river levels, road closures, etc. and relaying information on where to go to get help.

The major flooding is off toward Waterloo, Cedar Rapids and Iowa Ciy. Des Moines is flooded quite heavily. Fortunately there isn't much serious flooding in Marshalltown. The roads going into town have been run over by the river to the north and the creek to the east. I can get into town and there doesn't seem to be any flooding to disrupt the business district and the stores are open.

June 13th brings more night winds. The winds start to blow and the RV rocks back and forth and the rain is pounding from all directions. Like a scared child, I just lay in the bed with the covers over my head, holding onto my Li'l Bit, listening to the radio for weather alerts, scared to death! I've done all I can do!! I have my 'get out' bag by the bed. My power-pals are full charged. I'm afraid to cry -- I might not hear a change in the wind and rain outside.

So, you ask -- why didn't I hook up and move out? Where? I'd have to go nearly back to TX to get out of the Iowa/Missouri/Kansas/Oklahoma section where all of these storms form. Going east wouldn't help -- flooding is worse out that way. Wisconsin and Illinois and Indiana are getting hit. I'd rather be here where I know someone if I have to blow away!

God has had enough chances to come get me, so I guess I'm stuck here!

No comments: